Why become a member? ×

How much to charge for shipping a P bass and moulded case

JayPH

Hi guys

I want to put a listing on Ebay and I don't know what to charge for delivery

Can anyone give me an idea of how much it is to send a P bass in moulded case from a UK address to another UK address?

Also what is the rough weight, dimensions?

I'm in work so I cant get the exact measurements myself. I know a lot of you sell basses regularly so figured you would have this kind of knowledge at the top of your head so to speak

Also, what protection can you put in place when selling on Ebay

Thanks

J

If you use Interparcel, shipping costs are generally cost of packaging materials (don't send the bass just in the hard case) and then shipping plus insurance and VAT. Final cost is normally somewhere between £20 and £30 depending on how quickly you want the package to arrive, the insurance value of the item and how much the final package weighs in total.

For eBay you must use a tracked service (AFAIK all the Interparcel ones are) and package it really well (that means the bass in its hard case and then a minimum of two layers of bubble wrap and a strong cardboard box outer. Insure for the final sale price plus shipping cost of the bass.

Edited by BigRedX

The last two I've sent in hardcases and cardboard outers have cost between £22 and £25. From memory the dimensions were something like 145 x 45 x 12 cms and weighed c. 13kgs.

Interparcel have been very good with my deliveries (I've picked the UPS option) and added insurance as required. Depending upon the value of the bass and the service you choose the included cover can be sufficient.

When you enter the weight and parcel dimensions into the Interparcel site, make sure you go through the complete process to get the insurance and VAT costs. The basic prices you see first are minus both of these important factors. You should be able to ship a standard bass in a hard case with appropriate outer packaging with a total insurance value of less than £1000 for no more than £30.

I've also used Interparcel and personally go for UPS when you get the various options.

I tend to find that the boxes that you get from cycle shops are great to just fit a hardcase into and you have room to put extra cardboard/bubblewrap etc.

Musicman Sterling with original 'shortie' case with smaller cycle box = 125x40x15 10kg

Fender P with SKB case and large cycle box = 145x50x30 13kg

Err on the side of caution when measuring/weighing your package, a cm/kg or two over will generally make no difference (the weight and overall length MIGHT in some circumstances) to the cost you pay BUT if you under-measure/estimate they can sting you for extra charges.

If it is a valuable bass you need to check on the smallprint of the courier to make sure the general insurance they quote is applicable to musical instruments. Some companies make instruments exempt or only insure up to a nominal amount of £200 or so.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1365594785' post='2041478']
If it is a valuable bass you need to check on the smallprint of the courier to make sure the general insurance they quote is applicable to musical instruments. Some companies make instruments exempt or only insure up to a nominal amount of £200 or so.
[/quote]

ParcelForce are infamous for accepting your increased insurance premium for an instrument but exempting them in their T&C. Interparcel generally only covers up to £50 on the basic price and you need to bump that up to £1000 at an extra premium of about £10 (you can go up in increments below that costing proportionately less)... other couriers are available. ;)

[quote name='JayPH' timestamp='1365596090' post='2041518']
For this service does the recipient have to sign? I don't want somebody claiming they havent received the bass and doing a Paypal scam
[/quote]

I can only speak for the Interparcel/UPS service that I have used but yes.

Another vote for Interparcel/UPS from me. And if there's any issues with delivery, contact UPS and not Interparcel (UPS are free or local rate, can't remember which, Interparcel are premium rate and they won't actually know what's going on with the parcel anyway).