Why become a member? ×

EQ Pedals

Murph_Orpheus

[quote name='Murph_Orpheus' post='208086' date='May 28 2008, 03:15 PM']I'm looking to clean up my sound a bit with an EQ pedal. I was just looking at the MXR M-108, it sounds pretty decent from the reviews I've read. Anyone have any other suggestions with EQ pedals they've used?[/quote]

I haven't tried the MXR M-108 but it looks a very nice pedal.

I have a mixed feeling about eq. I like eq because if used in the right way it really helps to resolve problems with the environment (e.g. room that boosts certain frequencies).

On the other side, I feel that if I have to use an eq, there is something wrong somewhere. I prefer to use no eq. No eq in my amp (MarkBass F1) or in my bass.

Sometimes I use eq as a special effect when I play arpeggios in order to get a guitar-like sound but it is not part of my sound.

Well, to be entirely honest I use a form of eq... I use an Aphex Bass Xciter that I keep always on. I use only the bass side essentially to enhance the low frequencies of my 2x10 (Epifani UL-210). It is a pedal you may want to consider it is simple to use and very effective.

[quote name='fretmeister' post='208441' date='May 28 2008, 10:22 PM']I used to use a Boss EQ20 double pedal thing.

I used 3 basic settings - Off, bass boost, treble cut for dub type things, mid boost for solo passages.

It was very good.[/quote]

Plus the one. I still use mine from time to time - set up a good basic sound with the amp, then use the memory and live settings as 2 extra channels of EQ.

Andy

If you can solder, I'd try out this:

[url="http://www.buildyourownclone.com/graphiceq.html"]http://www.buildyourownclone.com/graphiceq.html[/url]

It's a 10 band EQ in a tiny enclosure, and you can change the eq band values to suit your taste.

Like the second poster, I don't like using it because the sound I get from my amp is great, but where a pedal colours the sound slightly I've got two cheap EQ's, and Arion and Behringer which are fine for adding a little bit back here and there. The Arion is my favourite, used it when I was a guitarist and it was great for a chuggy metal sound.

I think a 3 band on stage and 2 band parametric on the board is good enough for most cases, since a lot of the time the soundman takes an un-EQ'd signal anyway, plus tone controls on the bass for tweaking on the fly. I use an MXR M-80 as a DI box so that I can use the 3 band EQ on that to affect my entire signal to get 'my tone' and then sort out any problems onstage with the amps EQ settings. I personally wouldn't pay a lot of money for a separate EQ pedal.

I think a lot of bassists tend to be happy with one constant sound. That's cool for some, but I prefer to have variety. My bass tone contributes as much to the "arrangement" of a song as the dynamic feel, key, or tempo of an individual section i.e for a standard rock song I might have a mid boost for an intro riff, and then turn that pedal off so as not to crowd the vocal in the verse, then turn on some overdrive for the pre-chorus, and on top of that some bass boost for the chorus. It's what you'd do in the studio, so I don't get why you wouldn't want to do it live.