Why become a member? ×

I think I'm another GAS victim

Phil Adams

Alright, apart from the GAS thing, I'm a noddy, aging rocker who has had a bass since age 14, who has finally decided to get out there and play some music before the 60th looms too close.
I have basses, and a 1 x 15, and a 2 x 10 GK cabs, both oldies but goodies, also a Yorkville 450w head. My question is regarding the head, it seems to be little known in these parts, being Canadian made, I think.
What happens if you go out for a gig and your amp doesn't fire up? Is it reasonable or indeed necessary to carry a spare. Chances of both the cabs being dud are slim I would say, but how much can you trust and elderly solid state amp?
I've got a gig as part of a duo in 3 weeks time (albeit a charidy gig), also I've had an "audition" as bass player in a blues trio last week and they've asked me back for another look, so I feel I owe it to myself to GAS another amp.
Or am I just looking for an excuse to spend money I can't really afford?

Traynor make great gear, have good customer service, and can be repaired fairly easily by a decent tech. I had a ycv40 guitar amp that the power supply failed on, repaired in a week with new valves, all good.

Well I`ve always carried a DI/Pre-amp type pedal for those kind of moments. The one I`m using now, the Zoom B3 actually has my amp on it, so now I get the settings from the pedal, and use the amp as a power-amp. Plus, should I do gigs with provided rigs, I can get my sound easy, and into the FOH if required. Far too much on there for me to ever find out about, but my amp, compressor, tuner, and a bit of drive, all for £150, all I need plus happy that if my amp goes, I can still get my sound into the pa.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1365268365' post='2037477']
Well I`ve always carried a DI/Pre-amp type pedal for those kind of moments.[/quote]

This.

Being able to get a signal into the pa without your amp can be invaluable.

If you're worried about the reliability of an "elderly solid state amp", get a new one.

A modern amp will probably sound better and be more reliable, anyway.

GK, Genz, Aguilar and Markbass are all good, and can usually be found in the BC FS section.