Why become a member? ×

Fender Roscoe Beck V

Stubass1969

Hey Everyone, Who has experience of playing these basses? I have 2 of them and the necks are a world apart in terms of comfort, playability, etc. They are a 1996 model and a 2004 model. The later model has a slimmer neck profile and feels much better to play, but it is also heavier :(. Anyway, thoughts or comments are much appreciated. :) [attachment=131852:100_0858.JPG]

Edited by Stubass1969

I think you are in an incredibly unique position (I am very jealous) not only owning two of these but also having one from each end of the production period. I owned an older model around 97 I think, and now have a newer 2005 and although I cant do direct comparison, my new one feels just the same as my older one, it was like coming home after a long period of other basses.

I am sure there is someone else on here with two Roscoe Beck V's, maybe they will be able to help, I think it might have been silverfoxnik? I think Happy Jack has also had a couple of these (I traded my first one with him).

If the older one is really not doing it for you and you decide to sell, please let me know :lol:

Yup, it was me. I've had two of these, loved them both, but couldn't get on with the weight ... both were near enough 11 lbs (5 kg) which is too much for my aging back.

I sold both of mine to Silverfoxnik, whose aging back is clearly in better nick than mine since he still plays both.

Mine had very similar necks to each other, broad and slim. I know many players don't like that, but I'd be perfectly comfortable with a fretboard like the flight deck of an aircraft carrier (I'm not what you'd call a "technical" player :lol: ).

The range of tones available from a Roscoe Beck is astonishing, and of course they are really classy lookers.

These basses are what I think modern Fenders should be. If I didn't have the Spector, I'd have one of these and maybe install some more versatile electronics. Some nice growly sounds can be hand, so I understand?