Why become a member? ×

Nathan Watts

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1364825463' post='2031292']
I love this clip. Mistakes and all.....

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl-bVs1INtY"]https://www.youtube....h?v=hl-bVs1INtY[/url]
[/quote]
Looks like he could do it in his sleep, crazy :) Also another great reason for 5 strings clip.

[sub][size=4]Oh yes + 1,000,000[/size] :D [/sub]

[sub][size=4]I learned as many of the tracks off Songs in the Key of Life that I could back in the late 70s (only learned Sir Duke recently though - couldn't figure out the unison riff back then).[/size][/sub]

[sub][size=4]Nate has a 79 Stingray (it appears on Do I Do amongst a lot of other tracks, and he says he still uses it, presumably for recording) - this guy is one of my biggest bass playing inspirations, and one of the key reasons I got the Stingray drug!! Also the reason I bought a 5 string bass (but had to be a Stingray!). Seeing a Stevie Wonder performance with Nate on bass is a must for any R and B influenced bass player - there's no groove quite like it![/size][/sub]

[sub][size=4]In an interview he said he got the Stingray on recommendation of Bernard Edwards - prior to that he used a Jazz on I Wish (but through an Alembic pre amp - hence those dirty slides) and a Precision on Sir Duke (also through an Alembic pre amp).[/size][/sub]

[sub][size=4]Great call, Pete.[/size][/sub]

Edited by drTStingray

He does like to swap his gear about doesn't he! I have not seen him on a Ray5 did he ever use one? every clip of him these days he has some kind of modern 5er, I guess its artists like Nate that could of put Musicman/ebmm into the big time if they had of gone for endorsements earlier? A Flea sig 1991 black Ray4 would still be a collectable bass now if it had been made (and Sterling Ball must know it!) Nate Watts Sig Classic4/5 would of been cool too.

Don't think he played a Stingray 5 - he plays Alleva Coppolo 5s generally (but often gets a Stingray-like tone).

I once saw him use a pre EB Stingray on a Stevie Wonder thing on the BBC about 20 yrs ago.

You may be right about signature instruments - there again they might put others off.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1364833195' post='2031441']
I have struggled to find any clips of him using his pre EB Ray on you tube, anyone got any links? He has Stingray-esque sounding fingers to me, lovely sort of attack in short bursts.
[/quote]

Think this could be pre-Ray, could be wrong, you're the man to tell me!! If it's not I've definitely seen him playing one back in the 80's on a vid I can no longer find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFZUvIWu_Ok