Why become a member? ×

I"m thinking of venturing into the world of fretless

ashgeezer

As the title says.
I"m seriously thinking of getting a fretless but dont want to spend a shedload of money in case i dont like it.
Any recomendations for a cheap and cheerful fretless, i "ve just defretted an old bass neck i had and i might try it on the project im doing but god knows when its gonna be finished.

a cheap and cheerful fretless is exactly what i've got...i'm sure it's not a fantastic-sounding fretless, but it does the job when i fancy pretending i'm a real bass player !!!

but you should think about the project side i think...always nice to play an instrument you've had a hand in creating

Er, depends what you mean shedload, for around £200 you can pick up the VMJ Fretless from Squier, they get good press like it's fretted brother.

Probably could pick up a cheaper one on here in the for sale section, or post a note in the wanted section with the money you're willing to part with.

cheers for the input guys, it looks like the project is the way to go.
The neck i have is knackered really, bent to hell, truss rod at its tightest but still bent, it might be ok just to test the bass when its finished but then i really need to buy a new neck.
The project is in the very early stages ( just primed the body )

Go for it! If there's a fretless Jazz available somewhere I'd suggest that option. I'm not a huuuge fan of the mwah sound but I love the smooth and 'pure' sound of the notes on a fretless. It offers you new ways of playing things, and some pretty extreme vibrato, glissando, legato and all the other -o's, more so than fretted.

I do like fretless but I prefer the sound of a fretted bass for my playing style.

Mark

Equally shamelessly, I've also got a lovely [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=15587"]Yamaha fretless P[/url] for sale that I originally bought for the same reason as you, yours for a hundred notes (ish).

Edited by JoeS