Why become a member? ×

So my bass is very quiet

I got a 5 stringer. Peavey international bass. Problem is, its output is quiet. Not out of phase or anything. just quiet.

Could it be the pots that are doing this, (i havent had time to look at them) The pickups measure around 13k a piece, so theyre not the problem (which i thought was)

Any suggestions>?

[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=px-NE15JE1448"]http://www.guitargui...k=px-NE15JE1448[/url]
Active I think, have you checked the battery or poked around in the control cavity for any wiring issues?

Edited by ikay

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1364244234' post='2023804']
[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=px-NE15JE1448"]http://www.guitargui...k=px-NE15JE1448[/url]
Active I think, have you checked the battery or poked around in the control cavity for any wiring issues?
[/quote]
That was my next question ;)

Looks like you're into electronics so I'd suggest doing some diagnostics on the wiring to try and isolate the problem. If there are no obvious visual wiring issues then check signal continuity and pot function with a multimeter. If that checks out then disconnect the pickups from the pots and wire directly to the output to see if that gives a stronger signal.

Other things to consider : how old are your strings? I had similar problems, new strings made a huge difference.
Also - I don't use any pedals but when I first bought a tuner pedal I just used a 3m cable in and another out , output was seriously low. Swapped the out cable for a 1' patch and it was like night and day.

try and raise the pickup - that makes a HUGE difference to output, some pickups need to be quite close to the strings for best tone, my nordstand P5 wants to be real close before it sound amazing and dropping it just a mm or 2 makes it a lot quieter and sounds crapper

I don't think ohmic measurement alone suffices to predict the voltage o/p of a p/up. It's useful for getting a general idea (difference between single/double, or seeing if the p/up has seriously short-circuited windings...), but the o/p is also greatly dependant on magnet strength, winding formers, spaces around the magnet(s...) and more. I'm not suggesting, either, that the measurement is false, or useless, but, to me, 13k does not 'automatically' indicate 'hot'. The real test would be (temporarily..?) fitting a known high-o/p p/up as a comparison.
I would also concur with the 'direct connection' test, bypassing all pots, switches etc, to hear the p/up on its own. I don't know this model (I'm only a drummer, after all..!), so can't say if low o/p is typical or not.
Why it it an issue..? Do you want to play louder, but can't..?
Hope this helps; subject to correction or contradiction from others...

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1364409034' post='2026137'] well i measured them and got a resistance of 13k. so theyre hotter than a P pickup. [/quote]

Like dad367584638 (I may have his number wrong) said, resistance alone is not a predictor of output. There are other factors.
For example, MM pickups are around 4 ohm... and they are not exactly quiet.

Connect one of the pickups directly to the output socket, bypassing everything else. That's as loud as that pickup is going to be. If it's louder than before... you will have to check your wiring/components. If it sounds the same, volume-wise... then that's how it's going to sound. If you still think it's weak (are you comparing to other basses? which ones?) then maybe those pickups are quieter than what you are used to, or maybe something in your set up (pickup height, strings...) is a little off.