Why become a member? ×

Speeding up playing with heavy strings

So here's the thing: I play guitar in a band, and I've recently been messing about trying to play bass along with our songs, as much for my own amusement as anything else. However, I'm struggling to keep up with my guitar parts, as I'm finding it a lot harder to play some faster bits on bigger, heavier strings. Is there anything, technique-wise, I should be looking at in particular, or is it just a matter of practice, practice, practice and getting used to it?

Try picking the string closer to the bridge than the neck. The strings will naturally move less down there, and as a result will be back where you want them to be to pluck them again. If you play with a pick this shouldn't be a problem although if you play with fingers you find it hard to find somewhere to rest your thumb unless you have a bridge pickup!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1364830364' post='2031375']
Learn to press the strings with lighter technique. You will probably find you working harder than you need to and slowing yourself down as a result.
[/quote]

As true for fretting hand as for picking/plucking hand. Strike the strings more gently, and turn up your gain/master if you're losing volume. Makes damping (with plucking hand) much easier and stops the string being "elsewhere" when you come to pluck it again...

And I didn't read Damonjames' post!

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1364830364' post='2031375']
Learn to press the strings with lighter technique. You will probably find you working harder than you need to and slowing yourself down as a result.
[/quote]

This is top advice. I gave a lesson yesterday and discovered that this was exactly the problem the guy was having. The fact that his bass needed a setup quite badly wasn't helping matters either. You will be using so much more effort to play if your action is high!