Why become a member? ×

Does the sound of your bass make you go, "OH YES!"?

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='209674' date='May 30 2008, 03:11 PM']Hmmmm I don't own a bear... the only hairy beast in this house is my husband..[/quote]

MB1. :)
Not everyones favourite Marmite, you either like it or you dont i suppose!...Bears do apparently?
is that Nana mouskori in your avatar? :huh:

Edited by MB1

At home volumes, my EA stage rig just sounds muddy, indistinct and pretty inspid. Cranked up -wahey!!

However, I have tiny GK combo that I use for practice that sound fab at all volumes. This morning I plugged in my Aria for the last time before the new owner comes to collect it, the sound was pant-wettingly good and made me wonder if I'd made the right choice in selling it. :-0

[quote name='bassace' post='208335' date='May 28 2008, 07:54 PM']The sad thing about basses, particularly URBs is that the guy sitting four metres away gets a better sound than the player does. Otherwise GAS would never arise.[/quote]Hah! ain't that the truth? :)
Just love the sound of my Shuke 5... the Status is good, but the Shuke is just [i]ohhhhhhh[/i]...
The only other thing I've played that's done that is Kiwi's Smith 5 through my old Eden head. That was a marriage made in heaven.

Just quote my self here...

"You guys are A-Holes... Mine makes me want to vomit... i can't wait to get my ibanez...

i'm stuck with a crappy Fender P (copy) the thing is falling to bits on me... wires have come away from the volume and tone pots, and even if it was working i still wouldn't get an OH YES because the tone on it is crappy which makes it sound wirey and un-bass like...

i get more pleasure from playing the schools bass...

not a happy bass bunny right now... :)"

well after much needed open bass surgery i found my problem why i was getting a crappy sound it's cos my tone control had no wire running to it...

so after some make shift repairs which as of at the moment holding together yes i can thoroughly say my bass does now deliver that "OH YESSS" feeling...

(even contemplating not selling it now)

(:huh: funny how a little soldering can fix everything and make it better :huh:)

This thread gives me a chance to say something about my sound, and it's not good news for the Big Budget Boutique Bass Bonzos.

I've been playing bass live since 1975, and have been through a shop full of nice guitars in that time including two Rickenbackers, Arias, Washburns, a Gibson, a Warwick, and more Fenders than you can throw a pick at. That doesn't make me a good musician, but hey I've got away with it so far.

Now I bought a 2nd hand Jap-made Aerodyne Jazz as a spare (for £375) last year. It soon ousted my T-Bird as my main rock bass. I keep thinking I need to get something made to a higher standard with sexy electronics, exotic woods and graphite limbs, but at every gig I say to myself Wow ...is that great, bright wirewound sound really coming from this humble black beauty?

As it happens, I've been using various rigs and even a Pod once, and it doesn't seem to matter what I'm using, as long as I've got both the P & the J PUPs on at the same time. I use a pick for most of the time, and I keep the mids down on whatever amp, yet I get this 'near Ricky' sound.

I drool over some of the £1000+ basses featured in this great forum, but this damn passive bass just keeps claiming its place.

"Does the sound of your bass make you go, "OH YES!"?"

OH YES!! :)