Why become a member? ×

Markbass Micromark

edstraker123

Just bought a Markbass Micromark - just before the price hike (they seem to have gone up about £90 in the last few weeks) and was just wondering what other users experiences were of them. I bought it based on reviews (like a fool !) and for the price was extremely disappointed. I expected to pay a premium for the small size and it sounds ok but you only have to look at it and you overdrive it !
If it cost £150 it would be worth considering, but in some places it's now £390 + £50 for a tweeter box. I'm getting a better sound out of a Samson Resolv 65A active monitor which I got for nothing ! A valuable lesson learned !

It is exclusively for bedroom practice. Space is extremely tight and I thought it would be the perfect solution.I hear what you are saying about a 6" speaker but fell for the hype and somehow believed it was endowed with magical powers and would behave like a larger one !

Sorry if this appears a silly question....

but have you tried it close to a solid wall ? I tried one in electro-music in the middle of the shop and thought it was terrible...... put it in a corner and the LF extension improved massively

however...... the Phil Jones Briefcase kicks it's ass at a similar price !!

Mark

[quote name='edstraker123' post='207185' date='May 27 2008, 01:04 PM']Just bought a Markbass Micromark - just before the price hike (they seem to have gone up about £90 in the last few weeks) and was just wondering what other users experiences were of them. I bought it based on reviews (like a fool !) and for the price was extremely disappointed. I expected to pay a premium for the small size and it sounds ok but you only have to look at it and you overdrive it !
If it cost £150 it would be worth considering, but in some places it's now £390 + £50 for a tweeter box. I'm getting a better sound out of a Samson Resolv 65A active monitor which I got for nothing ! A valuable lesson learned ![/quote]

Take it back and gt your money back under the sale of goods act "fit for purpose" bit
Take the description from the seller's or the Markbass websites and teh reviews) in with you and say "go on then, show me how"
If it can't do what it's supposed to do then you have grounds for a total refund.

[quote name='OldGit' post='211298' date='Jun 2 2008, 07:00 PM']Take it back and gt your money back under the sale of goods act "fit for purpose" bit
Take the description from the seller's or the Markbass websites and teh reviews) in with you and say "go on then, show me how"
If it can't do what it's supposed to do then you have grounds for a total refund.[/quote]

the best combo for home practice IMHO is the Roland Bass Cube 30 - never had any problems with mine and it gets used for testing guitar repairs,which means being switched on and off many times, and all for a fraction of the price.

I'll 2nd the Roland Bass Cube, but also try the Line6 Studio 110. I A/B'd the Roland and Line6 and feel that the Line6 just pipped the Roland for the sound I was looking for. I have used the Line6 Studio at band practices (with a well behaved drummer) and a couple of gigs with P.A. assistance.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='207294' date='May 27 2008, 03:32 PM']I tried one in GAK and although the tone was nice it went nowhere near as loud as my active studio monitors which were half the price. If it was twice as big (two speakers) and had twice the power (6dB greater output) then it would be a lot more useful.[/quote]
You mean like the [url="http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=3&vedi=86"]MiniMark[/url]? I'm pondering one of these, but the price is seriously off-putting. I believe it's comparable to the PJ Briefcase.

Edited by bnt

[quote name='peted' post='211594' date='Jun 3 2008, 09:54 AM']......but also try the Line6 Studio 110. ................I have used the Line6 Studio at band practices (with a well behaved drummer) and a couple of gigs with P.A. assistance.[/quote]

+1 on the Line 6, it's impressive for its size - 12" cube and 1 finger carry!

Hamster

[quote name='bnt' post='211615' date='Jun 3 2008, 10:24 AM']You mean like the [url="http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=3&vedi=86"]MiniMark[/url]? I'm pondering one of these, but the price is seriously off-putting. I believe it's comparable to the PJ Briefcase.[/quote]

The sensitivity is equally off-putting - 101dB from a pair of 6" speakers means their Xmax (excursion before farting) has to be incredibly low. If you want decent lows from a tiny cab those speakers have to be able to move a long way and that means low sensitivity (due to large amount of voice coil outside the magnetic gap). The PJB Briefcase is very low sensitivity but at least it can make some clean bass. For a tiny rig I'd be more inclined towards an Acme Low-B1 and one of the numerous tiny Class D heads now available.

Alex

• 3 months later...

Just an update on the Micromark - having had a good play with it I don't think it's as bad as my first report. If I keep the volume and input levels down I can get a gorgeous tone just going through a Blackfinger compressor. Still don't think it's worth the money and it is limited in it's application but it's not a complete dud as first reported.

[quote name='edstraker123' post='284153' date='Sep 15 2008, 12:33 PM']Just an update on the Micromark - having had a good play with it I don't think it's as bad as my first report. If I keep the volume and input levels down I can get a gorgeous tone just going through a Blackfinger compressor. Still don't think it's worth the money and it is limited in it's application but it's not a complete dud as first reported.[/quote]

Have the the Markbass Mafia have been round and "asked" you to change your story? :)