Why become a member? ×

Playing with gloves on

adam-1992

Saw Scott Devine doing this so tried it today, I have to say it makes my fingerstyle a lot faster and more even, particularly when the hands are dry. Has anyone else tried this? I'm slightly wary of using them onstage at the risk of looking like a pretentious pleb.......

[quote name='bassicinstinct' timestamp='1363799621' post='2017879']
Scott's reasons are purely medical.

Apologies in advance if you're already aware of that.
[/quote]
I wasn't, whats his problem?

Also does anyone ever get that problem when they've just came in from outside and your fingers keep sticking on strings completely killing the fluency of playing? I find the gloves overcome it, and they're only the cheap cotton ones from the corner shop.

[quote name='adam-1992' timestamp='1363805128' post='2017989']
I wasn't, whats his problem?

Also does anyone ever get that problem when they've just came in from outside and your fingers keep sticking on strings completely killing the fluency of playing? I find the gloves overcome it, and they're only the cheap cotton ones from the corner shop.
[/quote]
Focal Dystonia. You can read about it on his site.

I did a gig a few months back in fingerless gloves because I simply forgot to take them off. I liked the idea and it didn't affect my playing so now I do it every gig just for the pose. I've taken to doing one song with a pick and I can;t damp properly with the mitts on so I take them off for that one song - or rather I wait til the guitar intro starts and rip them off for extra dramatic effect !

[quote name='adam-1992' timestamp='1363805128' post='2017989']
[/quote]

Yep. I use coated strings instead to overcome it :)

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1363808260' post='2018045']
I did a gig a few months back in fingerless gloves because I simply forgot to take them off. I liked the idea and it didn't affect my playing so now I do it every gig just for the pose. I've taken to doing one song with a pick and I can;t damp properly with the mitts on so I take them off for that one song - or rather I wait til the guitar intro starts and rip them off for extra dramatic effect !
[/quote]

I did an outside gig in January with fingerless gloves and they helped alot! I felt pretty cool too ;)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363801051' post='2017901']
Always :) Jasmine Silk - link in my sig.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDjwLSgVhoU[/media]
[/quote]
Just out of curiosity Nige, what made you start wearing them? (sorry If you've been asked many times before, but it's 3am, I'm at work,and far too lazy to search old threads at the moment!!)

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1363834483' post='2018422']
Just out of curiosity Nige, what made you start wearing them? (sorry If you've been asked many times before, but it's 3am, I'm at work,and far too lazy to search old threads at the moment!!)
[/quote]
Because they look so damn cool :)