Why become a member? ×

Will I like Elixir strings? A tight@rse wonders...

Moos3h

Hi folks,

I'm eyeing up Elixir strings as I LOVE them on acoustic.

Has anyone tried them, particularly on a Ray or similar on bass? How do they hold up?

They now do stainless - would that likely be even brighter than Nickel?

Any thoughts most welcome, don't want to waste the best part of £35!

Cheers,
James

Until my last string change I've been an Elixir nickel user for a number of years.

I'm quite a busy player and I was getting about 3 months out of a set.
A set of Rotosounds were lasting me about a month.

The only thing to be perhaps a little bit wary of is the reported tendency for the coating to flake, but that seems to affect mostly pick players from what I've read.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1363554917' post='2014116']
Until my last string change I've been an Elixir nickel user for a number of years.

I'm quite a busy player and I was getting about 3 months out of a set.
A set of Rotosounds were lasting me about a month.

The only thing to be perhaps a little bit wary of is the reported tendency for the coating to flake, but that seems to affect mostly pick players from what I've read.
[/quote]
A month?

I've used all sorts of different strings for years....Wariwck, Elites, Ernie Ball, Rotosound, etc. etc.

I decided to bite the bullet and go for the Elixirs, and I couldn't be happier. I've had them on for months now, and they still sound incredibly bright. I don't use a pick, so I can't speak about the flaking, but I absolutely love them. No going back for me.

Better to spend the money on strings that will last, rather than cheaper strings that you have to change every month or two. False economy.

I love them & have used them for years. I have tried a couple of set of EB Cobalts recently, but while they are OK I am going back to the Elixirs.

Have a set on the Wal which still sounded good at the last proggy gig I did, even though with hindsight I think that they really need changing.

Whilst Mrs W still insists on telling everyone that I play in four bands, that is not actually true - rehearse with up to 4 bands might be closer to the truth - and I have not been playing much recently but still the Elixirs last for ages so as Thunderthumbs says going for a cheaper set that you have to change more frequently is just a false economy, unless you really don't like the more expensive set.

I did try another brands coated set a while and really did not get on with them at all. Changed them for a new set of Elixirs very quickly, which IMO sounded so much better.

I use a pick and you do get a bit of dandruff from the coating, but I have not found that affects the sound or longevity.

Iuse them on both a Fender Jazz and Sadowsky JJ and I am very happy. They last sooooo long!. However I Used them on a Pedulla Thunderbolt in the past and found they were a poor match. Dull and unresponsive. Pedulla use maple to construct their bodies in the thunderbolt which might have something to do with it. Interestingly Roger Sadowsky does not recommend them, as he claims the coating on the strings reduces conductivity which can give rise to buzzing due to poor earthing, but that has not been my experience.