Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a MIDI Keyboard / Controller!

Dood

I'm thinking about selling my limited edition Korg M50 (which has way more functions than I'll ever use) and spend a bit more time with Apple's MainStage app I have installed.

I would like to get a MIDI Keyboard instead for tapping in my musical ideas. I'm after either a 49 or 61 key controller with both USB and 5 PIN MIDI connections. Maybe a few pads on for drum parts as well as a joystick controller or wheels for Pitch and Mod.

I'm not too fussed about being piano weighted, but preferably something that won't fall to pieces in 5 seconds. Working with Core Audio will also be brilliant as it means I can plug it straight in to my iPad as well.

Tall order eh? Is there anything I have missed? - Power by USB / batteries would also be great but not essential.

Let me know your thoughts!

Ok, to clarify - I specified MIDI Keyboard / Controller. i.e a keyboard 'deck' with MIDI output . A controller that does not contain any sounds of it's own. The M50 I am very aware has MIDI capability - it is a Workstation rather than just a controller.

As for budget - is £100 a good price for a decent controller? I will be using it for synth type parts as well as bashing out drum lines, but I won't personally be doing any Jordan Rudess / Jem Godfrey impressions on it. Nor do I need the touch sensitivity of a piano weighted controller. Think is, I don;t wanna buy an over priced keyboard that feels rubbish to play, but nor do I want to be coughing up for something thatcosts the same as the secondhand price of my M50 - thus, I may as well keep the M50!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1363356878' post='2011737']
Any that I should avoid?
[/quote]

I have the M-Audio Oxygen 25 on my desk, and while it's a very well built and useful bit of kit, the feel of the keys is pretty poor. I don't play keyboards a lot and even I noticed it when I played it. The newer version might be better but I'd struggle to recommend it if you plan on playing it a lot. This is all IMO of course, you might like it.

I also notice you want pads which it doesn't have so it probably wasn't an option anyway.

Alesis QX49 would be in your price range and would seem to cover what you want. I've used an older Alesis which worked fine enough and didn't feel too flimsy. At this end of the market it's always going to be a bit of a compromise on build quality (same as with basses :) )

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1365796000' post='2044760']
I've been told to check out M-Audio's Axiom controllers too - any good?
[/quote]

The Axiom controllers are great, as are the Akai MPK series.

I've used both live & in the studio. I found them to be much the same to be honest, i just preferred the axiom for the key action for what i was used to.

I've seen a lot more axioms in producers & song writers studios than i have Akai's, and i've seen more Akai's being used on tours than i have Axioms.

Maybe not much use, but they're both really well built and reliable.

Edit,

Also, the Novation's are great too. They're pricey but really intuitive and aid workflow rather than hindering it.

Edited by JakeBrownBass

• 1 month later...

I've been looking at both the Axiom and the Novation Launchkey. I like the Launchkey as it promises integration with my iPad without the need for external devices such as powered hubs to make it work - but I'm not so sure about the pads on it. Are they really flimsy? They look it! The Axiom seems to be better built AND I like that it has both USB Midi and standard MIDI sockets. It's be amazing if it worked directly with an iPad too.

Anyone know about the LaunchKey?

Just an update for those who may be interested. I bought a Novation Launchkey 49! I'm really pleased with it! A superb deck action and, it plugs directly in to my iPad for mobile tuneage! :)