Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee going cheap?

Conan

Just spotted this on the Rush website. Has anyone tried one of these? Are they meant to be similar to the "proper" Fender GL J bass?

[url="http://www.rushbackstage.com/rushbackstage/accessories-etc/rush-fender-squier-clockwork-angels-bass.html"]http://www.rushbackstage.com/rushbackstage/accessories-etc/rush-fender-squier-clockwork-angels-bass.html[/url]

Opinions?

[quote name='jonsmith' timestamp='1362750312' post='2004218']
I haven't tried myself, but I'm told delivery of these is restricted to North America.
[/quote]

Yeah. I've just tried ordering one (just to see if it would work!) and it didn't. However, it is possible to use third party companies as US shipping addresses and they then post stuff on to the rest of the world, so it would be possible to get one if you were determined...

Just seems an odd thing to sell in a band's merchandise store! :huh: :D

I would say these are nothing like a Geddy Lee bass. The pickups are in the wrong place for a Geddy (and the wrong kind) the neck will be fatter than a Geddy one too. Definitely fanboy stuff given the pricetag... it's just a VM'77 with some stickers on. They are good basses for the money (usual money not this one) but nothing like a Geddy.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1362752753' post='2004271']
I would say these are nothing like a Geddy Lee bass. The pickups are in the wrong place for a Geddy (and the wrong kind) the neck will be fatter than a Geddy one too. Definitely fanboy stuff given the pricetag... it's just a VM'77 with some stickers on. They are good basses for the money (usual money not this one) but nothing like a Geddy.
[/quote]

Exactly. That being the case, is someone (Rush and/or Fender) trying to pull a fast one here? :huh:

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1362755745' post='2004342']
Is there no limits to the depths some people will stoop to in order to pretend they are Geddy Lee ? [/quote]

I agree to an extent.... but then again Rush have a lot of older (and presumably more wealthy) fans who might not fancy a T-shirt, but want to demonstrate how much of a fan they are by buying a bass guitar that looks a bit (in their eyes) like Geddy's.

Or maybe they think that it brings them closer to one of their idols?

It's all a bit odd really. :unsure:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1362757008' post='2004369']
I agree to an extent.... but then again Rush have a lot of older (and presumably more wealthy) fans who might not fancy a T-shirt, but want to demonstrate how much of a fan they are by buying a bass guitar that looks a bit (in their eyes) like Geddy's.

Or maybe they think that it brings them closer to one of their idols?

It's all a bit odd really. :unsure:
[/quote]

So this is aimed at people who don't even play ? It doesn't even look like any of Geddy's basses - they could have at least put a white scratchplate on it . It all makes no sense . Don't get me wrong , I love Geddy Lee , probably to an unhealthy extent , but this bass doesn't really get anybody any closer to him , except at least you would have a black Jazz Bass if you didn't have a bass before I suppose .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1362758059' post='2004396']
So this is aimed at people who don't even play ? It doesn't even look like any of Geddy's basses [/quote]

I have no idea [i]who[/i] it is aimed at. And would any non-bass players know the difference between a MIM/CIJ Fender Geddy, this bass or a handmade custom shop version specced for and used by the man himself? I suspect not.

I wonder how many they have sold? ;)

St Pauli (German football club and purveyors of some grade A insanity) sell a St Pauli branded Squier Strat.

About 30% more than the standard Squier with a big sticker on it. Do people buy it? Course they bloody do, I almost bought one last time I was there and had drunk too much jagermeister (in sight of the pitch no less!)

Edited by throwoff

I believe Squier brought out these VM basses as a purpose to buy Fender Artist without having to pay the full whack.

There was the 77' based roughly on the Geddy Lee, 70's on the Marcus Miller and the VM Fretless as the Jaco Pastorious.

The only difference with the Squier 77 and the one posted on the Rushbacks site is the stickers. I've just bought this bass myself, a real good bass. I got mine for £130 from my local so shop around :)

BSB