Why become a member? ×

NAD: Fender Bassman 100T

Alfie

I have taken the plunge and gone all valve. I thought I might as well try a valve amp while I am still young enough to lug one around, so here it is, a Fender Bassman 100T.

A brief summary of my first impressions:[list]
[*]It is big
[*]It is heavy
[*]It sounds amazing and it is surprisingly easy to get a range of sounds out of it.
[/list]
What initially attracted me to the 100T was the ability to switch the output from 100W to 25W and it is the latter that I have been mostly playing around with, getting nice overdriven tones at respectable volumes at home. 100W will have to wait until band practice next week, but even then I might end up settling for 25W as I play in a country band with fiddle and blues harp.

The separate vintage and overdrive channels are fun to play with and I am not sure which one I will settle for. The vintage channel offers a traditional Fender tone stack and is nicely beefy, whereas the overdrive far more control than its name suggests.

The only problem I have now is working out what to pair it with. Previously I have been playing through an orange SP212, but the head is far wider and looks a bit strange sat on top. I have a Barefaced Midget on the way, but the combination, while probably being good acoustically, will look ridiculous. I am tempted by the Fender Neo 410, but I don't really need a 410. Would two midgets sat side-by-side work well?

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Alfie' timestamp='1362507096' post='2000419']
I have taken the plunge and gone all valve. I thought I might as well try a valve amp while I am still young enough to lug one around, so here it is, a Fender Bassman 100T.

A brief summary of my first impressions:[list]
[*]It is big
[*]It is heavy
[*]It sounds amazing and it is surprisingly easy to get a range of sounds out of it.
[/list]
What initially attracted me to the 100T was the ability to switch the output from 100W to 25W and it is the latter that I have been mostly playing around with, getting nice overdriven tones at respectable volumes at home. 100W will have to wait until band practice next week, but even then I might end up settling for 25W as I play in a country band with fiddle and blues harp.

The separate vintage and overdrive channels are fun to play with and I am not sure which one I will settle for. The vintage channel offers a traditional Fender tone stack and is nicely beefy, whereas the overdrive far more control than its name suggests.

The only problem I have now is working out what to pair it with. Previously I have been playing through an orange SP212, but the head is far wider and looks a bit strange sat on top. I have a Barefaced Midget on the way, but the combination, while probably being good acoustically, will look ridiculous. I am tempted by the Fender Neo 410, but I don't really need a 410. Would two midgets sat side-by-side work well?
[/quote]

Any updates on using this in anger?!!

[quote name='Alfie' timestamp='1362507096' post='2000419']...The only problem I have now is working out what to pair it with...[/quote]

Is the Barefaced '69er not the obvious choice..? B)

Congratulation on a tasty choice of amp, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

These amps are GREAT! You have summed some of the 'pros' very well. It's the amp I have always wanted soundwise. I have the 410 neo cab and it is a great match.

I have a little issue with the bias (which hopefully will be fixed soon), but still I love it and recommend it to other people.

Edited by Electrophonic