Why become a member? ×

Dingwall 5 with BassExtender.

CPBass

Well, ive just fitted an extender to the low B.
Low A is a beautiful note when its 36" long!!!

Ive not seen a 5 string use these in the main until i saw Lee Sklar use it on his signature Dingwall.

Sounds incredible. Anyone else use these on 5 string?

I have an ABII fiver and had tuned to low A for a bit but I had to bring it up again cuz I couldn't stop playin it.
Sounds incredible. And yes; more useful than low B.
Pining after a Lee Sklar sig model. Dont care what colour. Would sell car, TV, and other basses, family pet etc if it would finance it.
I wonder what a F# string would sound like on a Dingwall? Crazy idea here - drop tune it like you would for a B string to low A and you would have a super low E?
mmmmm.

[quote name='Voodoosnake' timestamp='1361957065' post='1993482']
Ive got the ABI and Ive been going through my repertoire and surprising how refreshing having the low A is. Could argue more useful that the low B. Its bloody lovely!
[/quote]

Infairness that's pretty hard to argue with and makes a lot of sense !!
I have the abII and I so badly want to try the lee model ...... Better for me that I don't otherwise my left kidney is up for sale.
Funny I was over at my mates house grand wazoo playing the Dingwall that made me fall in love .... Abz 5 natural , what a bass. Also his super j/p is too due for :)
Gas is a bastard ;)

Edited by swanbrook

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1362011687' post='1994609']
Infairness that's pretty hard to argue with and makes a lot of sense !!
I have the abII and I so badly want to try the lee model ...... Better for me that I don't otherwise my left kidney is up for sale.
Funny I was over at my mates house grand wazoo playing the Dingwall that made me fall in love .... Abz 5 natural , what a bass. Also his super j/p is too due for :)
Gas is a bastard ;)
[/quote]

yeah and I've got a pic to prove it!

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/xt660/5D3_5889_zpsbba625e7.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1361997544' post='1994301']
I wonder what a F# string would sound like on a Dingwall? Crazy idea here - drop tune it like you would for a B string to low A and you would have a super low E?
mmmmm.
[/quote]

There was a Dingwall Combustion at the bass show set up F# B E A D. Astonishing instrument. The F# open was a little difficult to hear correctly(probably more to do with the range of human hearing more than the bass itself) but fretted notes were astounding. Bear in mind also that I only heard it through headphones - a good amp would make a difference.
And Mr Dingwall himself is a very friendly and approachable chap.

Yes, Sheldon and I disappeared in to the foyer with that superb F# Dingwall for a play. On Sunday I brought my Shuker bass down with it's low F# to compare. The 37" scale and strings made specially by Circle K certainly made for a substantial low end! I was really pleased that my Shuker held it's own though and Sheldon was really complementary. He's a really nice guy and I loved the ABZ i reviewed recently. Superb!