Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What am I missing? Cheap valves, expensive valves

4 Strings

In messing about on the Genz I bought a fine Mullard valve from our own Mr Foxen at a good price. Of course I then just keep an eye open having entered a little world new to me.

I put a silly bid on these and won.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-ECC81-Radio-Audio-Valves-New-condition-Haltron-Mullard-Ammerex-/110999758785?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=AsYgEWNYXxR8yMAVNgratqz4XP8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
A bit of a risk as they were untested but I got a Mullard and three other valves. They all work, one is a bit ringy and another has a slight background noise, the other two, including the Mullard, are perfect. Very happy, can play a little more and have some spares.

I also spotted these.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-ECC83-VALVES-MULLARD-BRIMAR-/170990204577?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=AsYgEWNYXxR8yMAVNgratqz4XP8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Didn't bid but happened to 'Watch' and was astounded at the selling price. They are sold untested (our own Mr Foxen will test valves he sells) and instead of ECC81s they are the more popularly used ECC 83s.

Maybe this was an anomaly sale but seems a little extreme to me.

I agree, it seems an insane price to pay for valves which are completely untested, you could've bought three very nice fully tested NOS valves from a reputable source for around the same price, but presumably someone saw the word "mullard" and went a bit nuts with their bidding?! :blink:

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1361892696' post='1992569']
I agree, it seems an insane price to pay for valves which are completely untested, you could've bought three very nice fully tested NOS valves from a reputable source for around the same price, but presumably someone saw the word "mullard" and went a bit nuts with their bidding?! :blink:
[/quote]

+1 when I spoke to Hotrox they told me that they have even expensive valves failing their test procedures, so price is no guarantee of quality or tone! Testing is