Why become a member? ×

Fret noise

Paddle!

Hello
I have only recently started playing the bass so this may seem like a silly question.
I seem to get an awful lot of noise purely from my fingers pressing down on the frets.
The strings make a clicking noise everytime and its really very irritating.
I try to play as gently as possible but the problem is always there.

Just wondering if this is my technique, the strings or the bass and if there is a way to rectify it?
Cheers!

It might be technique. If you are using roundwound strings then they produce a lot more treble and will click more when you fret a note. You could try turning the tone on your bass down a bit which might help reduce the click. Flatwound strings will reduce the top end of the tone (treble), are much smother on your fingers and usually give a much warmer tone.

It might also be worth your while taking the bass for a setup. Most instrument shops will have a tech who can do this or find a recommended luthier on here who can advise you. Where are you based?

Technique combined with action & strings - mostly overcome with practise - develop a smoooth style, try a fretless :D

I'd make sure the nut is cut deep enough & the action as low as you like, then practise minimal finger pressure onto each fret with a smooth style.

BTW - not a silly question at all & welcome to the machine B)

Edited by KiOgon

Get your bass set up properly for how you play. Sounds obvious, but seriously, it will make the whole thing more playable.

Don't be put off by anyone who says that you won't understand set-up if you've only just started. Anyone who says that is a twat of the highest order. Walk away.

I have personally made £40 bass guitars perform like £4000 instruments,[u] in the eyes of their owners.[/u] Set-up is everything.

Cool, will work on the technique.
Personally I didn't think it would be worth getting the bass set up properly since its only an old Encore thing I got for peanuts!
Thought getting your bass set up was only for people who were sh*t hot bass players with basses to match :P
Whats the going rate for setting up a bass?
I'm in Oban so not sure if there's anyone nearby able to do it.
Thanks again
Pretty helpful forum :)

"an old Encore thing" can be made very playable, you're fighting not playing without a decent setup, do yourself a favour & find someone 'nearby' who can have a look & advise or even show you how to do your own setup.

Bring it down to Bexhill & I'll have a look for you :D only 575 miles apparently :o

A bit of technique and strings, I'd say. It gets better with practice, but roundwound strings always have some string noise. If it bothers you a lot, you could try groundwound or flatwound strings, which are much smoother... but sound a bit different.
Also, if you turn treble control down (or tone control if passive bass), the string noise goes down a lot, and you will not really hear it once mixed with a band,

Try to play as clean as you can, of course, but if you listen to the isolated bass tracks from many well known bass players, you will find that there is often a lot of noise... you just don't hear it once mixed.

[quote name='Paddle!' timestamp='1361748108' post='1990383']
Cool, will work on the technique.
Personally I didn't think it would be worth getting the bass set up properly since its only an old Encore thing I got for peanuts!
Thought getting your bass set up was only for people who were sh*t hot bass players with basses to match :P
Whats the going rate for setting up a bass?
I'm in Oban so not sure if there's anyone nearby able to do it.
Thanks again
Pretty helpful forum :)
[/quote]

I tried an old Encore P bass that was very very nice! Don't knock it! :)
Get it set up nicely, and it will help you play more comfortably and sound better. Set ups are for everybody... yes, YOU! ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1361749022' post='1990402']
A bit of technique and strings, I'd say. It gets better with practice, but roundwound strings always have some string noise. If it bothers you a lot, you could try groundwound or flatwound strings, which are much smoother... but sound a bit different.
Also, if you turn treble control down (or tone control if passive bass), the string noise goes down a lot, and you will not really hear it once mixed with a band,

Try to play as clean as you can, of course, but if you listen to the isolated bass tracks from many well known bass players, you will find that there is often a lot of noise... you just don't hear it once mixed.
[/quote]
Cheers!
The impression I'm getting is that it could be combination of things then.
Have been thinking about flatwound strings. But I have an awful habit of spending more time tinkering with instruments then learning to play them, I keep finding bits of a trombone in my sock drawer for instance, some day when I find out where I put the rest of it I might learn to play it.

As others have said, a good set up can change an OK bass into a good bass - both playability and sound. No point in fighting your bass, you might as well make learning etc as easy as possible. Heres a link for instructions on how to do a set up.....

[url="http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/store/books/the-ultimate-guide-to-the-perfect-bass-setup.html"]http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/store/books/the-ultimate-guide-to-the-perfect-bass-setup.html[/url]

Theres no marketing gumph associated with this download so you dont recieve lots of mails afterwards. I've always done my own set-ups for years and I found the book well worth every penny it didnt cost :)

If you're ever near Aberdeen I might be able to help.

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1361788567' post='1990676']
As others have said, a good set up can change an OK bass into a good bass - both playability and sound. No point in fighting your bass, you might as well make learning etc as easy as possible. Heres a link for instructions on how to do a set up.....

[url="http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/store/books/the-ultimate-guide-to-the-perfect-bass-setup.html"]http://www.jerzydroz...bass-setup.html[/url]

Theres no marketing gumph associated with this download so you dont recieve lots of mails afterwards. I've always done my own set-ups for years and I found the book well worth every penny it didnt cost :)

If you're ever near Aberdeen I might be able to help.
[/quote]

I use this as well. It's been a massive help to me. Haven't purchased the book but i use an online PDF version (Which i've just remembered is saved in the bookmarks on my old PC that's now died, best dig it out).

Liam

A set up will reduce fret buzz for sure ..... that clacky buzz that you can get as the note rings on if the action is a bit low.

However, IME the main reasons for a lot of "clank" as you actually fret and play a note is down to EQ. Try reducing your high mids and/or treble on the amp, or turning your tone down and the fretting noise will be less obvious.
Yes, technique and smoothness does also make a difference, and it's also worth a mention that a lot of rock players actually really like a lot of "clank" when they play a note.

A decent set-up will always make a bass more pleasant to play and less of a fight, but I'm not sure it will actually reduce the fret noise the OP is hearing.