Why become a member? ×

lindy fralin bass pick up

ian

Not sure about the Jazz's but..
I just recently had a standard-wind Fralin singlecoil put into my 51 P bass
At first I wondered what was going on, playing with the band I had to roll the volume and tone knobs right back on the bass, where with the stock pickup I had both wide open (that's me and P-basses) to achieve roughly the same clarity and bottom end. The Fralin's seem to have a lot more response and are even sounding over the strings and a little smoother with the highs, even tho there are a lot more brittle highs on tap. (almost too much)
That's how I have found it on a singlecoil P-bass.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1361349699' post='1984787']
Not sure about the Jazz's but..
I just recently had a standard-wind Fralin singlecoil put into my 51 P bass
At first I wondered what was going on, playing with the band I had to roll the volume and tone knobs right back on the bass, where with the stock pickup I had both wide open (that's me and P-basses) to achieve roughly the same clarity and bottom end. The Fralin's seem to have a lot more response and are even sounding over the strings and a little smoother with the highs, even tho there are a lot more brittle highs on tap. (almost too much)
That's how I have found it on a singlecoil P-bass.
[/quote]

More or less my findings as well. Had my first one in a Lakland Duck Dunn and was amazed at how much the tone and volume knobs worked compared to my previous basses. My second Duck Dunn came with a Lakland pup and i felt it lacked the magic of the first, so i got another Fralin and the bass came to life.
Ive been thinking about getting one for my current P bass but cant afford a new one this time.
Ive never tried the Jazz pups but i cant imagine they would disappoint.

I have the p bass set. Transformed a pretty plain sounding p bass into the most incredible tone machine you will ever hear. Not a great deal of tonal options (especially with flatwounds on) but it is THE tone to end all tones. I have pondered the J set many times but the Tokai's pu's are quite hot anyway.