Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

After playing for 25 years I have just been playing E# for the first time!

stingrayPete1977

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1361171002' post='1982065']
I'm an educated player, but I find arguing about chords annoying and a complete waste of time, at least for covers, everyone should do thier homework before a run through, regardless if you can read or not. So unless you decide to change key during a session there should be no conversation in an ideal world.
[/quote]

The key being an ideal world. I find quite often that it's not always easy to pick out some lines and somoetimes what the guitarist hears and interprets are different to what I have heard and interpreted. Especially when the bass is indistinct on the recording and 'almost' doubles the guitar. That's what practices are for, to make sure you're all playing together.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1361191003' post='1982405']

The key being an ideal world. I find quite often that it's not always easy to pick out some lines and somoetimes what the guitarist hears and interprets are different to what I have heard and interpreted. Especially when the bass is indistinct on the recording and 'almost' doubles the guitar. That's what practices are for, to make sure you're all playing together.
[/quote]

We must be talking about different kinds of music or songs, not many covers I'm asked to play where there is not an easy to distinguish baseline, but we are talking basic pop, rock and soul, typical covers band stuff.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1361207154' post='1982783']
I don't see why it's being pedantic, the E is sharp in the key of F sharp, it's just that it's the first time I have knowingly played one :)
[/quote]

It's not being pedantic. My example was that everyone knows what notes you mean and it's not worth having a long discussion in the practice studio over whether it's an Ab or a G#. In my example the guitarist called out the notes and after F# I was expecting him to say G# and when he said Ab it threw me for a microsecond. When I said it was G# he looked at me blankly like he'd never heard of a G#...

If you're practicing and you call out C# D# E#, 9 times out of 10 you'll confuse someone.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1361131931' post='1981648']
Trumpets shouldn't be so bad surely? Just bend the note with less 'blow'? On a flute it's possible to bend a note by up to a quarter tone with mouth (embouchure) and breath support alone. Is trumpet the same? Mind you, Miles Davis seemed gloriously flat most of the time anyway, so who would know...
[/quote]
It can be quite difficult sometimes! The model of trombone I play (Conn 88H) is naturally ever so slightly sharp and some notes in the natural harmonic scale are sharp in the 'proper' trombone positions, thus need a little adjustment down on the slide. Then we have to tune the blasted things! :P
Temperature on a brass instrument can vary oh sharp/flat it plays quite dramatically.
Regardless 'lipping' a note up or down using one's embouchure is possbile on any brass instrument to varying degrees of success.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1361229032' post='1983323']

It's not being pedantic. My example was that everyone knows what notes you mean and it's not worth having a long discussion in the practice studio over whether it's an Ab or a G#. In my example the guitarist called out the notes and after F# I was expecting him to say G# and when he said Ab it threw me for a microsecond. When I said it was G# he looked at me blankly like he'd never heard of a G#...

If you're practicing and you call out C# D# E#, 9 times out of 10 you'll confuse someone.
[/quote]
I agree but in that situation the rule of only using each note name once doesn't apply, practising at home and reading it from the score it is an E# :)

If it were a punk band practice you would probably just shout out "5th fret, 3rd fret" :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1361133116' post='1981674']
If you want to call it F, you'll have to play it in Eb minor instead.
[/quote]
This is how I learned it. Cracking tune though.

Here's a clip of me muddling through it at a sound check at the top of the Gherkin in London, through an awesome Akai Deep Impact.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGgHyhgZfy8[/media]