Why become a member? ×

Medical Problems disrupting playing!

Lord Sausage

I've not bee able to play for the last months as i've had dermititis on my hands due to an allergic reaction. It's messed up back of my hands and all my fingers split open on my right hand. Also, the creams i've had to use have softened my fingers up. I'm just coming out of it now but my fingertips are like a childs, proper soft. Then last week i put my back out so, it's been a nightmare. Any one else suffered due to lame injuries!

Oh yeah about 2 days before a theatre show i did when i was 18 i got bloody tendonitis in my my right wrist. the doctor said don't play for two weeks, but i had to. Agony!

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1361012953' post='1979705']
I've not bee able to play for the last months as i've had dermititis on my hands due to an allergic reaction. It's messed up back of my hands and all my fingers split open on my right hand. Also, the creams i've had to use have softened my fingers up. I'm just coming out of it now but my fingertips are like a childs, proper soft. Then last week i put my back out so, it's been a nightmare. Any one else suffered due to lame injuries!

Oh yeah about 2 days before a theatre show i did when i was 18 i got bloody tendonitis in my my right wrist. the doctor said don't play for two weeks, but i had to. Agony!
[/quote] I used to work in a coffee shop and I have an alergic reaction to anti-bacterial cleaners, that we used all the time. The constant hand washing and drying didn't help either. In terms of softness I can't suggest anything (skin hardening never happens for me) but you know the annoying splits in your fingers which make it too painful to play? Try electrical tape. It keeps the wound shut and plays just like skin.
Many a time I used to turn up to play at church with half my fingers taped up!

A woman I know is a hair-dresser & has reaction to most of the lotions they use. I thought she'd had an accident when she was all strapped up one day.
She swears by that Neutrogena, but I can't think of a way around losing the toughened finger tips without starting your troubles again.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1361027689' post='1980009']
I used to work in a coffee shop and I have an alergic reaction to anti-bacterial cleaners, that we used all the time. The constant hand washing and drying didn't help either. In terms of softness I can't suggest anything (skin hardening never happens for me) but you know the annoying splits in your fingers which make it too painful to play? Try electrical tape. It keeps the wound shut and plays just like skin.
Many a time I used to turn up to play at church with half my fingers taped up!
[/quote]will try elecy tape!

I used to play rugby at uni, and would be taking regular breaks with broken fingers. I can empathises with the taping up. Those old ice lolly sticks make great DIY splints!

Initially, the biggest time off with injury was early in 2003 - I punched a knuckle off my right hand, and breaking a bone. That never quite came good, and I had a couple of months off.

Then at the end of 2003, I had a bad car crash - which broke my right arm in 3 places. I had some nerve damage from that, and that gave me six years off :(

I started playing regularly again not long before joining here. Haven't broken much since, thankfully, but the nerves aren't right - and I now have carpal tunnel, which gives me the odd issue. I tend to play with strapping on now.

I would agree, injuries are a sod!

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1361061136' post='1980639']
I used to play rugby at uni, and would be taking regular breaks with broken fingers. I can empathises with the taping up. Those old ice lolly sticks make great DIY splints!

Initially, the biggest time off with injury was early in 2003 - I punched a knuckle off my right hand, and breaking a bone. That never quite came good, and I had a couple of months off.

Then at the end of 2003, I had a bad car crash - which broke my right arm in 3 places. I had some nerve damage from that, and that gave me six years off :(

I started playing regularly again not long before joining here. Haven't broken much since, thankfully, but the nerves aren't right - and I now have carpal tunnel, which gives me the odd issue. I tend to play with strapping on now.

I would agree, injuries are a sod!
[/quote]
Bloody hell! i'l stop moaning now! :lol:
I thought i was pretty hardcore for when i cut deep into the side of my left index finger the day before i did Grease. The plaster kept falling off and then this big thick flap of skin would drop down pouring blood everywhere. The guitar player nearly threw up :lol:
But what you had makes it pale by comparison.