Why become a member? ×

Choices choices choices

Bassist on the Run

I personally love the GBE750 through the 610 cab. :)

But in all seriousness, being able to set the solid state amp too give a nice clear punchy attack, then set the valve amp to give a warm crunch, and run them both simultaneously gives the most flexibility I have ever come across in a bass amp.

Can't really comment on TC stuff as I've never used any.

If it's a choice between those specific two rigs then I would go with the Genz rig as the quality of the cab is on another level to the TC BC cabs (I have owned and gigged BC cabs and a Genz XB3 cab). The BC cabs are not toneful to my ears, are rather wooly and fart out way too early. I have not played or owned any TC amps, so cannot comment, but will add that the BH amp is the entry level of their 500W amps.
Genz amps are excellent quality and I have nothing but praise for them (the streamliner I owned was not the tone I was looking for in the end though), although I have not played the GBE 750 so cannot comment directly on that one.

If you plan on going down the TC Electronics route I strongly recommend saving up and getting the RH/Classic 450 along with the RS cabs. I have had the BH and BC range and found them to be cheaply (read as badly) made and quite nasty if I'm perfectly honest. In contrast, the RH450 I was loaned for a couple of gigs last year sounded lovely.

The GB stuff I have used has been well put together and sounded decent. Not had any experience with the rig you mentioned though.

I have both a GB Streamliner 600 and a TC Electronics Classic 450. They are different, so it is difficult to say which is better - both do what they do quite well. Depends what sound you want. The GB can produce a cleaner sound and the valve pre-amp is more 'honest' when driven than the Tubetone on the TC. But, in some ways, the TC is easier to use and the on board compressor is more than useable. If you need to vary your sound maybe a TC RH450 with 3 footswitchable presets (plus tuner) might be worth considering - from my now better informed psoition it is what I would choose for what I want out of an amp. If you want a cleaner sound then, assuming it is either/or, go for a GB.

I stick them through Barefaced cabs and am really pleased with the sound.