Why become a member? ×

PA amp + Hi-Fi speakers = ?

Currrls

Hi guys hopefully someone could help me out with this. The band have just inherited a PA amp but don't currently have any monitors. I've got some old hifi speakers lying around though. If I soldered some jack plugs onto the end of the speaker wire and plugged them into the amp would this work? It would only be used for fairly low volumes at rehersals. And would this actually be any better than the cheap 20w guitar amp we run the vocals through at the moment?

Cheers

[quote name='Currrls' timestamp='1360573032' post='1972344']
I can give wattages and ohmages if those are important
[/quote]

Yes, they are, somewhat. You might get a bit of use from this gear, but any opinion from us depends on the info (cabs and amp...) that you can provide.
To be continued..?

[quote name='Currrls' timestamp='1360572923' post='1972342']
Hi guys hopefully someone could help me out with this. The band have just inherited a PA amp but don't currently have any monitors. I've got some old hifi speakers lying around though. If I soldered some jack plugs onto the end of the speaker wire and plugged them into the amp would this work? It would only be used for fairly low volumes at rehersals. And would this actually be any better than the cheap 20w guitar amp we run the vocals through at the moment?

Cheers
[/quote]

For a while my vocalist used a pair of PA speakers that cost her £8 (she now has a set of EV speakers). Your hi fi speakers would soon be knackered if you put a decent powered amp through them. There's cheap PA speakers out there you just have to look.

[quote name='Currrls' timestamp='1360572923' post='1972342']
If I soldered some jack plugs onto the end of the speaker wire and plugged them into the amp would this work?
[/quote]Possibly, but hi-fi speakers are not made to withstand the stresses of pro-sound use, so if they do work it may not be for long.

I think it would work and probably sound good at low volume, but i believe hi fi speakers are usually pretty inefficient compared to pa cabs, so you probably wont get much volume for the amount of power you put in, making it quite likely you would damage the speakers in the search for enough volume. If you do it id be careful,especially if the speakers are decent.

Thanks for all the input guys. I thought I'd put on email notifications for this thread and when I got no emails I presumed no one had replied. Fortunately you're all wonderful helpful people.

The speakers are 6ohm impedance. I think the amp is 150w at 4 ohms but will check and report back

I guessed the amp would have to be turned down pretty low so I supposed what I'm asking is whether the volume I'd have to turn them down to to avoid them exploding would be louder than the 20w guitar amp?