Why become a member? ×

Basses With Thin Fast Necks?

Ant_On_Bass

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1379408346' post='2212199']
My old Lakland Darryl Jones had one of the slimmest neck profiles I've used. My preference is for something a bit chunkier nowadays though!
[/quote]

Would agree, it's a great neck on the DJ.

Even slimmer, perhaps, is my ESP-LTD Surveyor - nice Satin finish on the neck, which tends to remain fast despite heavy playing.

My old MTD Kingston Heir had a slim and very [i]flat[/i] neck, not much curvature. That was a superb player, and had it been a 4-string it would still have been on the rack. They're not well know to a lot of players, so it's hard to point people at a music shop to try one.

The slimmest and one of the most narrow necks I've ever played is on an Alembic Stanley Clarke Deluxe - the slim-taper is 1.5" to 2.15 so the neck remains very narrow and slender (front to back) all the way up. The short scale also assists the comfort for me - it's possible to play ridiculously fast if you wish to (though for me, that implies introduction of a lot of mistakes). I have a Brown Bass - short scale too - though that has a 1.75 nut (still a very slim neck front to back, and again super-fast if that's your thing). My other Alembic shortie has has the same taper as the SCD, however, the neck is slightly wider front to back - probably connected with the wider body on Series instruments. Alembic necks - on nominally similar instruments - do seem to differ a little: probably an outcome of the hand-carving process. I've not tried an Ibanez SR but probably should - I suspect that the slender dimensions (if not the scale) would suit me extremely well.

Edited by lozbass

The Rickenbacker.

Only kidding, for me I just compare all the other things to the Ibanez sr1000 I have, and it is really slim, even more so than the sr505 that I also have.
I tried a Geddy Jazz, and it didn't seem as slim, but maybe I need to try one again to see if I missed it. Problmen I have when trying them is they all seem a bit like baseball bats compared to the sr1000

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1379599726' post='2214661']
I have to raise the Ibanez SR as others have before me.....My bass has a thinner neck than most of my mates guitars. If I pick up a Fender I feel like I need to catch a bus to get round the neck lol
[/quote]

Indeed :)
My Sr500 really is a superb bass
And to raise the point about thin / fast again
What neep said is partially true,

the SR500 really does have a thin neck
but its' speed - or the speed I can move my hand along it, is also down to the finish
The neck is, I believe Bubinga wood
and somehow, the wood has a really low-friction coating

I don't know what sort of varnish or coating that is, but I dread the day it wears out
and needs re-coating
So far, so good - it has stood the test of time
But anyone doubting that some necks are faster than others really should try one of these basses out

Fender necks to me, are incredibly chunky
I've had 2x USA build Fenders, but my Indonesian Squire has a better neck than any USA model I've played
Also, the USA Fenders seemed to have a varnish / finish with that bit more "drag" factor to them

If you've never tried an SR500 or the other Soundgear models - give one a try