Why become a member? ×

G4M / RedSub pedals

elephantgrey

Today i noticed that gear4music where doing there own pedals now, link follows:
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar_--_Bass_Effects/Gear4music.html

They seam to have there own branded multi effects for both guitar and bas, but seam to be endorsing RedSub pedals under there own brand in bass effects. For £30 a pop for the most part, i must admit theyve got me curious. im wondering how they compare to the joyo pedals which seam to be kicking about amazon for about the same. They seam to come in metal casings, but with rubber end points at the top and bottom, which seams an odd choice to me.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

[quote name='stoker' timestamp='1360450168' post='1970776']
Question is though are Beta Aivin any good.
[/quote]
At least some of them seem to cut the mustard. [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/glxbeta.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.c...s/glxbeta.shtml[/url]

Someone posted here a little while ago about the HB bass DI pedal and they were less than impressed. Horses for courses, different strokes and all that, but until we get a few more reviews I'd say the jury's out.

Edited by Musky

• 1 month later...

Bit of a thread revivial, but as I bought a RedSub DI-2000 Bass Drive + DI Pedal, I thought I'd review it. It's basically exactly the same as the Harley Benton BDI-2000 (except it's £10 more expensive, d'oh!) but with a RedSub logo on it. RedSub are gear4music's brand name. [size=4]This is what it looks like:[/size]

It has 6.3mm mono jack input, output and parallel outputs and a balanced XLR DI output. The controls are as follows: CONTOUR (which supposedly works a bit like Markbass's VPF filter), COLOUR (which supposedly works a bit like Markbass's VLE filter), TREBLE, MIDDLE and BASS (self-eplanatory), LEVEL, BLEND AND DRIVE. The LEVEL control does not only set the overall level of the unit, it also has a bearing on the DRIVE control. I found this annoying. BLEND sets the amount of effected signal to clean signal. At least that's what I thought, as the maximum effected signal seems to happen when this control is in the centre of its travel. No idea what's going on there.

The unit has a heavy steel case with rubber ends and feels like a quality item, and the controls are positive and give confidence. But in practice the contour and colour controls cover their whole range within a quarter-turn of the controls, making them difficult to use - and they are just nowhere near as effective as Markbass's VPF and VLE filters in operation. Which is what you'd expect at this price point.

The bottom line is that it sounds really terrible. The drive in particular is harsh, unmusical, and in no way emulates any kind of 'vintage' or 'valve' tone whatsoever. The bass, mid and treble controls don't seem to cover the full audio bandwidth. The bass is 'boxy' and unnatural and never seems to go low enough; the mid control makes this worse and just adds what I'm going to call 'honk'; and the treble control does not add any lovely ethereal sparkle as it should - it is digital, tiring and strident. I found that it was impossible to get [i]any [/i]kind of useful sound out of this unit. Whatever you do to it, it sounds like a morose goose lost in thick fog.

Because this cost nearly £60 posted I naively imagined I'd be getting something twice as good as Behringer's BDI-21 V-Tone; in fact the RedSub unit is [i]way[/i] less than half as good as the BDI-21, and it's twice the price. For £26 or so, the BDI-21 is a true bargain and sounds great!

I have taken advantage of gear4music's 14-day returns policy and they are sending a courier to collect and giving me a full refund. Which is as it should be. I haven't tried any of RedSub/Harley Benton's other bass pedals, but I would certainly avoid this one! :D

Edited by discreet

Update: used the DI-2000 at rehearsal last night, and even the other band members figured out something was seriously wrong with the bass sound. Which is saying a very great deal, really! :D

It was only the fact I used it with a Markbass Super Booster that allowed me to come up with any half-way usable sound at all. Which says a lot for the Super Booster.

Edited by discreet

• 4 months later...

Thought I would give this thread a bit of a revival. Im buying the RedSub BLM-2 Compressor from a mate for a tenner tomorrow, thought it would be worth a short for only £10.

I will be using it at band practice tomorrow too so I will do a little review on it after, see whats what when put through its paces.