Why become a member? ×

Chorus and Delay Recommendations

AKAK

also, for delay, do you want digital or analog, or analog-voiced digital? digital and analog delays are so different as to almost be different effects.

personally, I have tried a lot of both and settled on a boss RE-20 space echo, as sonically i think it's the best of both worlds, and has a dedicated tap tempo switch too.

interested to hear opinions on chorus, as i'm considering getting one soon. so far, I'm leaning towards the TC corona chorus - the troy sanders (mastodon) toneprint sounds really nice!

Thanks for the replies.

Budget is not really an issue now as I have learnt that with music equipment price really does make a difference in terms of quality. I would much prefer to save to purchase an effects that I will keep for ever than purchase one only to be and change it a few months down the line.

I am a relative newbie so I am unsure the difference between the digital,analog or analog voiced delays. Can you kindly explain Gaz?

I am going to have a look at the Boss pedal and the DOD you both mentioned.

very basically, digital delays give you a really clean, pristine repeated note. some say these delays sound overly 'sterile'. They aren't good for creating ambient soundscapes in my opinion, but are great if you want to clearly hear the repeated notes cut through. Boss DD-3 is a v good, solid (basic) digital delay.

analog delays have darker (warmer?) repeats, which some prefer. these pedals can self-oscillate at extreme settings.

best bet is to listen to some pro guitar shop or similar demo videos (sadly only on guitar) for a few pedals (try DD-3 and mxr carbon copy), and you should start to get a feel for which you may prefer. a look at the post your pedal board threads will show that some people have digital and analog delays on the same boards...

it's very much down to personal taste. I like using analog delays, but find they don't cut through clearly enough when playing with a full band, so use a digital delay (well, a digital delay that trys to model an analog delay!). best advise is to listen to some demos and try out a few and see which you prefer. like most types of effect, doubtful you'll get a clear concensus on a forum as to the 'best' of anything, it's all down to personal opinion! happy hunting...

[quote name='AKAK' timestamp='1360334110' post='1968848']
Thanks for the replies.

Budget is not really an issue now as I have learnt that with music equipment price really does make a difference in terms of quality. I would much prefer to save to purchase an effects that I will keep for ever than purchase one only to be and change it a few months down the line.

I am a relative newbie so I am unsure the difference between the digital,analog or analog voiced delays. Can you kindly explain Gaz?

I am going to have a look at the Boss pedal and the DOD you both mentioned.
[/quote]

You'll find with delay pedals that prices often reflect the features, more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better. It really depends what features you're after. As Gaz mentioned, your best bet is to check out video reviews/demos - and the MXR Carbon Copy and Boss DD3 are a great place to start with understanding the tonal difference between digital and analogue.

something else worth saying is if you are unsure, buy your pedals from the bc classifieds, and if you don't like the pedal, you should be able to move it on for no loss, or a minimal loss...

there are also several online shops that offer no quibble refunds if you return within 7 days.

Thanks guys for all the replies.

Definitely I prefer the analog sound. This topic has opened up my ears to all the tonal possibilities that abound. To add to the mix I just heard a demo of the Moog 104 Delay and the EHX Memory Man 1100( waiting to hear the Ibanez). WOW the Moog is something and having the controls laid out like that really does encourage experimentation, the price tag is another matter.

Slowly but surely I am piecing together my ideal pedal board.

Thanks again!