Why become a member? ×

Fitting strings (tip?)

LITTLEWING

I just fitted a set of five D'addario Prosteels to my Squier VM Jazz and recalled reading somewhere on BC about pushing the string down on the playing side of the saddle to make a slight 'break' angle rather than a useless 'arc'. I was a bit concerned that the 'steels weren't ringing as I thought they should and decided to give it a go. OMG, what a difference! They're ringing like a piano on all five especially the B. My only hope is now that this hasn't encouraged string breakage. We'll have to wait and see. Anybody else do this as the norm or am I the last to know???

[quote name='LITTLEWING' timestamp='1360066587' post='1964191']
My only hope is now that this hasn't encouraged string breakage. We'll have to wait and see.
Anybody else do this as the norm or am I the last to know???
[/quote]

The norm, AFAIC. It's not going to encourage string breakage.

The only thing you want to avoid is extreme angles on the core.

But...I am a big fan on tapered core and have all my strings made like that.
They certainly do sustain well and the strings are defined down to the B... but whther that is the core or the strings in general, I am not soooo sure.

But they work..

[quote name='LITTLEWING' timestamp='1360066587' post='1964191']
I just fitted a set of five D'addario Prosteels to my Squier VM Jazz and recalled reading somewhere on BC about pushing the string down on the playing side of the saddle to make a slight 'break' angle rather than a useless 'arc'. I was a bit concerned that the 'steels weren't ringing as I thought they should and decided to give it a go. OMG, what a difference! They're ringing like a piano on all five especially the B. My only hope is now that this hasn't encouraged string breakage. We'll have to wait and see. Anybody else do this as the norm or am I the last to know???
[/quote]

I always do that. It just makes the string take the shape it will eventually take a lot faster.
I started doing that when I was playing guitar, and talking about how strings take a while to settle... then Stewart Ward, from Award Session amplification showed us that trick... no more unstable tuning after restringing!