Why become a member? ×

Fender P bridge question(s)

omikin

I have a Fender Precision American Standard from '97-'98 with thru-body stringing.

I foolishly assumed that this meant I had the option to do this if I wanted. When I put new strings on it when I acquired it, I strung them through as it seemed like the natural thing to do, and didn't pay much attention to the bridge.

I've just bought a set of Lakland flats, and it says on the packet not to string through the body as this can cause flats to crack.

Two questions:

1) is this likely? I had Fender flats on it for a year and no problems of cracking etc

2) why wouldn't the bridge allow normal stringing? Seems daft to me.

Okay, three questions:

3) is there a replacement bridge that would allow through body and normal stringing?

[size=4]Hmm... according to Fender, the American Standard series bridges are '[color=#333333][font=open_sansregular, sans-serif]High Mass Vintage (String-Through-Body or Topload)'.[/font][/color][/size]
[font=open_sansregular, sans-serif][color=#333333]Maybe the bridge has been changed at some point..?[/color][/font]

[url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/series/american-standard/american-standard-precision-bass/"]http://www.fender.co...precision-bass/[/url]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='omikin' timestamp='1359715493' post='1959120']
I assumed they did all allow normal stringing as well as thru-body. This is the bridge - am I being really stupid?
[/quote]

No, that clearly cannot be top-loaded! Never seen that before! :huh:
And you can see from the pic that the flats are under strain on the bridge saddles.

Edited by discreet

Now i see the issue... yep, only trough-stinging... very odd! The only good thing about that bridge is the grooves on the saddles alowing the strings to be adjusted to the poles.

Maybe it's time to think about getting a new bridge with both top and trough mounting. I don't think it would bring much health to the flats having them with those cracks.

[quote name='omikin' timestamp='1359717211' post='1959165']
Might order myself one of these:
[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/p/917706/fender-deluxe-bass-bridge-chrome/?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping"]http://www.stringsdi...=GoogleShopping[/url]
[/quote]

That looks very like the current Am Standard bridge, so a good choice IMHO. :)
The 'part-threaded' saddles are a bonus too from the point of view of being able to have some leeway with string spacing, position over pickup and fretboard, etc.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='omikin' timestamp='1359717211' post='1959165']
That's what I figured. :(

Might order myself one of these:

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/p/917706/fender-deluxe-bass-bridge-chrome/?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping"]http://www.stringsdi...=GoogleShopping[/url]
[/quote]

It´s a good option but since you're buying a bridge why don't you get a high mass one instead?

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1359717342' post='1959172']
It´s a good option but since you're buying a bridge why don't you get a high mass one instead?
[/quote] cos it's a P bass- the general opinion is that high mass on jazz yes, on Precision no as it softens the perceived attack (thump)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1359717342' post='1959172']
[/quote]

A quick google only came up with the Deluxe Bass bridge, not the high mass one. If anyone can find a link to that I'd be grateful. :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1359717612' post='1959180']
cos it's a P bass- the general opinion is that high mass on jazz yes, on Precision no as it softens the perceived attack (thump)
[/quote]

Is that right? I thought the current crop of P basses (with high mass bridges) were meant to be great. Would the Deluxe bridge be better?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1359717612' post='1959180']
cos it's a P bass- the general opinion is that high mass on jazz yes, on Precision no as it softens the perceived attack (thump)
[/quote]

Well... on my P-copy i replaced the BBOT for a Gotoh 201 and both the sound and attack improved but i'm not arguing with you because of my limited experience with P's when compared to yours ;)

[quote name='omikin' timestamp='1359717763' post='1959187']
Is that right? I thought the current crop of P basses (with high mass bridges) were meant to be great. Would the Deluxe bridge be better?
[/quote]

This is the High Mass one (for a Deluxe), try searching with the part number on the label.

edit: forgot to add pic ;)

Edited by Ghost_Bass

There are any number of threads on BC about hi-mass/badass/other replacement bridges, and the general consensus is that they make little, if any, difference to the tone and the perceived advantages are due to placebo effect... but YMMV, etc. :)

Just thought I'd throw that into the mix. *Runs away*

Edited by discreet