Why become a member? ×

Just 'nailed it' at practice

dazza14

Don't you love it when you absolutely 'nail it' at practice?
You know, that sweet moment when everything you try just works and you feel like you can't put a note wrong... well i had that on Tuesday evening at practice.
We've recently found a new drummer so i'm trying to adapt to how he plays and we're trying to gel as quickly as possible to keep the energy of the songs and keep the momentum of the band moving forward and at times there were some great things going on.
I was playing my Squier VM Jazz through my Fender Rumble 350w and was switching from punk to reggae to rock to country through thumb (Sting-style), finger and nail style and all was needed was a little toying with my tone knob and it all sounded really good.
Was so pleased with what we were doing that i'm still buzzing and looking forward to next weeks practice.
Anyone else ever get this???

Only caveat to this is I find if the last practice before a gig goes too well then the gig isn't so good for some reason. Conversely, if I have a fractious, difficult practice before a gig, the gig goes well!

I know what you mean though, last week I idly started playing "Unsquare Dance" (7/4 time), keyboard player picked up on it and after a couple of abortive attempts the drummer got into the 7/4 thing and it was great, really enjoyed it. Want to do it again tonight :)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1359638279' post='1958010']
Only caveat to this is I find if the last practice before a gig goes too well then the gig isn't so good for some reason. Conversely, if I have a fractious, difficult practice before a gig, the gig goes well!

I know what you mean though, last week I idly started playing "Unsquare Dance" (7/4 time), keyboard player picked up on it and after a couple of abortive attempts the drummer got into the 7/4 thing and it was great, really enjoyed it. Want to do it again tonight :)
[/quote]

+ 1 Really good rehearsal = iffy gig
Iffy rehearsal = Good gig

When I was playing Orchestral music I always worried after a good dress rehearsal that we'd have a crap concert. As it happens mostly the final rehearsal wasn't good and therefore the concert was cracking. We became known as the Dennis Norden Orchestra coz it was generally 'alright on the night'. Same now with the Bass.