Why become a member? ×

orange bass terror

dan670844

Pretty much my experience, shame really I fell in love with the tone through the ML112's

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1359624547' post='1957612']
Even with a 40db attenuator mine sounded horrid through DI but wonderful through the cab. All my gigs are DI these days so it had to go which was a real shame. Never got past 3 on the volume on a non DI gig. It was certainly loud.
[/quote]

This is all subjective of course to everyone who has said it is loud, ok its loud for you. For me comparing to what i normally play it doesnt not have the punch and dynamics headroom or the low end of my amp. Which is a ctm300 its only 350watts rms probably around 700 peak. the terror feels flat in comparsion, but that is the way i play, i like my amp to be be as dynamic as possible. I guess if you play rock metal its ok as you don't bursts of transient power. I guess though i am being really unfair as my ctm was a custom job so its possible to buy four bass terrors for the price of my amp. As I said that is a problem with digital amps its not the digital output module its the switchmode power supply they cant keep up with sudden demands of power from a class d module. Ashdown are making a big thing about there mibass 2.0 400 rms 600peak i wonder why no other manufacturer displays this about their class d amps. i know its all horseshit but i think peak and rms does give you some idea of the power reserves of the amp. A Ashdown spyder 550 is 550 watts rms 900 peak, thats dynamics. Trouble is its heavy gear not what i want to carry on the tube anyway.

I spoke to an angineer at Orange who was really helpful.
He explained that the hot DI issue has been sorted, they are also now fitting JJ tubes as standard.
I could not tell a great deal of difference in volume between my shuttle 9.0 and the Terror 500.
I think in the Bass gear magazine power test the burst rating was double the output rating, that might explain the huge volume. Apparently the 1000 is fearsome!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1359631013' post='1957762']
If I didn't have an AD200b, I would have a Bass Terror. They are, for the size/price/weight, fantastic amps.

The wattage ratings are quite conservative. The 500 is a very very VERY loud amp.#

I have also heard the latest models have a better DI.
[/quote]

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1359396395' post='1954146']
And apparently later models had this aspect fixed as well?
[/quote]

oh thats not so bad.

might have to go down the terror route if i sadly cant find a ad200b i know i can put less gainy valves in but how do they handle active basses? as my modulus is very hot if i use the aggie pre amp to boost?

andy

[quote name='Iana' timestamp='1359661117' post='1958504']
He explained that the hot DI issue has been sorted, they are also now fitting JJ tubes as standard.
[/quote]

Did he by any chance say whether these two changes happened at the same time, as in: "if you find JJs, then the DI is sorted"?

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1359667381' post='1958621']

Did he by any chance say whether these two changes happened at the same time, as in: "if you find JJs, then the DI is sorted"?

Sorry I didn't ask, he did say they change their tube suppliers from time to time but didn't relate that to the DI. If you need info it is worth calling them. I just got the phone number out of the handbook.
I got put straight through and the guy I spoke to was really helpful and.happy to chat.

Ian

best,
bert
[/quote]

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1359669225' post='1958675']
I certainly heard that this was the case.
[/quote]

[quote name='Iana' timestamp='1359670225' post='1958713']
Sorry I didn't ask, he did say they change their tube suppliers from time to time but didn't relate that to the DI. If you need info it is worth calling them. I just got the phone number out of the handbook.
I got put straight through and the guy I spoke to was really helpful and.happy to chat.
[/quote]

Thanks, guys!
I love it when companies work like that. Makes me a loyal customer.

best,
bert

• 2 weeks later...

I've just acquired one in a trade and couldn't be happier with it. Seriously loud, easily as loud if not louder than the swr 700 it replaced. Mine still has the original tubes and doesn't start to breakup till at plast 11 or 12 o'clock.
Played last night with my blues jam band, just plugged in one aguilar 112 and with the gain and volume on 3 was easily drowning out 2 guitarists!!!! Sounds even better with both cabs.

The Terror Bass was tested to have just shy of 600 watts on one of the Ohm settings, with bursts of almost of 1000 watts!

I recently compared mine to an AD200B and just on tone, I really do prefer the terror bass. The AD200B was warmer, but seemed to have lost of a lot of the growl that the terror bass has.

Does anyone know when they changed the XLR output and if there's any way to check by looking at the actual amp?