Why become a member? ×

MarkBass combo.

Mr Fudge

I tried out a markbass combo on Saturday. It was the 250w (I think) with the 2x10 speakers. I was very impressed!

Currently I have a mag 300 ashdown head and the tuned 4x10 cab that goes with it. I am in no rush to chop and change gear but I would like to get into the higher end of the market. So ...

I am planning on keeping my ashdown rig whatever, theoretically it will become a spare. That means I could run the combo with my 4x10 ashdown if I wanted, buy a markbass head first and use ashdown speakers, buy 2x10 or 4x10 mark bass speakers and run it with the mag for a while? Use a single 15? combo or seperates? all at once or bit by bit?

any ideas please?

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='202125' date='May 19 2008, 02:24 PM']I tried out a markbass combo on Saturday. It was the 250w (I think) with the 2x10 speakers. I was very impressed!

Currently I have a mag 300 ashdown head and the tuned 4x10 cab that goes with it. I am in no rush to chop and change gear but I would like to get into the higher end of the market. So ...

I am planning on keeping my ashdown rig whatever, theoretically it will become a spare. That means I could run the combo with my 4x10 ashdown if I wanted, buy a markbass head first and use ashdown speakers, buy 2x10 or 4x10 mark bass speakers and run it with the mag for a while? Use a single 15? combo or seperates? all at once or bit by bit?

any ideas please?[/quote]

It's 300watts at 8 Ohm and 500watts at 4 Ohm with the combo: just make sure your Ashdown Cab does not bring it down to 2 Ohm as it will cause serious damage to the Amp. Two 8 Ohm cabs run by it will translate to 4 OHm but also I think I'm right in saying the Head taken out of the combo has no lid. If you are buying the Head on its own there are 2 similar Little Mark Amps, 1 is 250 watts(LMK250) the other (LMII) is 300/500 watts!

[quote name='chris_b' post='202162' date='May 19 2008, 02:48 PM']The general opinion seems to be, Markbass heads are good but the cabs are not so loved.
I'd take your Ashdown cab to Mark at Bass Direct, not far from you, and try his Markbass and Genz Benz heads.[/quote]

Have to say I love the cabs almost as much as the amps.

I have owned and sold 3 MB cabs which I regret after I bought the 121P combo and heard the MB cab sound again, albeit in a combo.

Frank.

I've got the MB 2x10 combo you're talking about & would recommend it to anyone wanting a light, loud & great sounding combo.

I gigged it on Saturday there & was surprised at how deep a bass I got outta those 10's! Low down but crystal clear.

If your Ashdown 410 is 8 ohm then you can use it with it. I'm thinking about trying the Ashdown 410 & 15 (not both together) to see how they sound plugged into this & also try the MB cabs. But for now to be honest, I don't need that much power & volume as the gig I just did I had the input vol at @ 10 o'clock & the output vol just above 9 o'clock by a ballhair & kept getting asked by organizers to turn it down :)

My ashdown 4x10 are 8ohm as is I believe the combo, so there could be some nice variations here. I like the fact that I can just take the combo to gigs and even sit it back on the angle as well. My ears are getting old! Bigger gigs I can squeeze some through the PA. We have a potentially a 1.5 k rig if we wheel the powereb bottoms out.

Is Bass Direct in Brum? I'll have to google it.

Thanks all for the input. appreciated