Why become a member? ×

Music recorded with MM J pickups

ZenBasses

Hey

I am trying to get my head around pickup configurations and the sounds they produce.

Can anyone suggest any music to listen to that was recorded with a MM J equipped bass.. I guess Lakland would be a good place to start. Just so I can get a sense of how they fit 'in a mix'

Plus it's just another excuse to discover new music hehe

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben , I cant think of any tracks that specifically feature an MM /J config , but these vids show the basic sounds available on the Lakland pretty well .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpd7r0PdVnU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNMcB5etjCY

If you use this link to the audio samples page on the Lakland web site they have got tracks in a variety of styles with a bass in this configuration playing in the tracks :

http://www.lakland.com/audio.htm

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1358946137' post='1947410']
Hi Ben , I cant think of any tracks that specifically feature an MM /J config , but these vids show the basic sounds available on the Lakland pretty well .

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpd7r0PdVnU[/media]

[/quote]

I always thought this was a great video, but the Lakland tones just aren't quite 'there. The Jazz sound doesn't bite enough, the MM sound doesn't quite burp enough. The Precision sound? Well, who cares...

A very versatile bass, no doubt, but not a tone monster in any sense. That said they fit nicely enough into any standard format mix.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1358992164' post='1948329']
I always thought this was a great video, but the Lakland tones just aren't quite 'there. The Jazz sound doesn't bite enough, the MM sound doesn't quite burp enough. The Precision sound? Well, who cares...

A very versatile bass, no doubt, but not a tone monster in any sense. That said they fit nicely enough into any standard format mix.
[/quote]

I always thought the Fender Precision was the best sounding bass in the whole video ! Just shows you how much peoples' perceptions can differ . I know Ian Allison who made the video for Lakland felt that it would have been better to have a bass with a maple board , especially for the Stingray comparison , but overall I think they did a great job of showing how versatile these basses are . To be fair to Lakland , these basses are capable of far more sounds than the derivative ones demonstrated in the video .

I have an ibanez rd500 with duncan ibanez pickups and i have to say i was really impressed
with it when i bought it, i think for me its a keeper
I previously owned a musicman sub and i can say i prefer the ibanez i didnt think the signal of the single coil would be much cop compared to the humbucker but its very versatile bass and the output from it is very very punchy and it is perfectly quiet noise wise from the electrics for what i paid which was about £125 i wouldnt hesitate to buy one,im keeping an eye out for an rd900

Hey thanks for the replies. I have listened to the Lakland samples and to these ears they lacks depth and warmth. Probably fit very well in a mix but it just doesn't 'excite' in my ears.

I am currently toying with the idea of having a MM J Config on my new shuker to give me a contrast to my GBs twin Humbuckers

I played an EBMM at a shop and although I thought the tone was really good it again didn't press the right buttons. (though the Peavey practice amp supplied didn't help)

I switched to an Overwater Jazz (tanglewood), and Tbh in thought it had a more rounded fuller sound..But didn't lack punch.

I don't want the ultra hifi sound like I get from the GB but maybe sticking with soap bar humbuckers is the best solution when having a one time only build commissioned.

Wish there was a better range of shops in Leeds that allows to play lots of different pickups and pre amps if you know what I mean.

So maybe I am leaning towards EMG soap bars again as their slightly compressed and full sound is where I want to be.

Edited by ZenBasses

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1359045259' post='1948968']
The thing that always struck me the most about that Lakland demo is how different that early pre -EBMM Musicman sounds to a current EBMM Stingray.
[/quote]
They have more of everything IMO, seriously awesome basses, the black 79 in my sig has been owned by a few members here and it's my least favourite bass really but man does it sound good in a live mix!

Edited by stingrayPete1977