Why become a member? ×

Favour please from someone with Reaper

Dave Vader

Hello lovely Basschat people. My band has recently recorded a little 3 track demo in a local studio run by a hobbyist who does it on the cheap. Nice guy, good mix, trouble is, our wonderful frontperson has decided we recorded one of the tracks a wee bit slow, and we tend to agree. However, the nice studio chap (who runs logic) can't speed it up without it sounding glitchy and losing half the quality. He has suggested to us that Reaper is bloody brilliant at speeding up tracks without changing pitch or going glitchy.

My system is too old and knackered to run any new software, and I assume it's a fairly quick and easy job, so if anybody out there would like to do us a favour and speed it up for us without any glitchy nastiness I would be very appreciative, free would be nicest, but if you want paying, I'm sure we can stump up a few quid to make it worth your while.
If you're in Devon I'll meet up with you and buy you a pint at the very least for your trouble.

Hope somebody can help us, we will be very grateful.
Dave

Hi Dave. I might be able to help... happy to try anyway!

Can you upload the track somewhere - maybe SoundCloud or Dropbox, etc? - and I'll have a look at it. It'd help to know the rough bpm at it stands and how fast you'd like the end result to be.

PS: no payment needed unkess it proves to be a huge headache - in which I'll just give up on it (also gratis! ;) ).

Paul

Cheers Paul, I need to wait on the rest of the band to ok the mix we have now, and then I will send it on over to you via drop box. From the rough messing about with it we did, it's about a 4-5% increase we're after, so nothing major. Just enough to give it a bit more oomph.
PM me your email address so I can share the dropbox folder with you.

It would be simple in Reaper - hold alt and drag the end of the audio track ( make it smaller will speed up while preserving pitch)... tweak till happy.

Reaper will run on an old P3 (and I doubt if your box is that old) - why not down the [url="http://www.cockos.com/reaper/download.php"]demo[/url] and play around with it?

I've done this with Reaper on seriously complex productions (well over 50 individual tracks)

My advice is to get the stems of the track in question and do the tempo change on all the stems, then reimport them into logic and render the mix.

If you just do the stereo mix it will be far more obvious that its been 'played with' than if you do the individual stems then redo the mix. The results I've had from this approach has been staggering...

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1359385620' post='1953889']My advice is to get the stems of the track in question and do the tempo change on all the stems, then reimport them into logic and render the mix. If you just do the stereo mix it will be far more obvious that its been 'played with' than if you do the individual stems then redo the mix. The results I've had from this approach has been staggering...[/quote]

^ Good point there Si. I hadn't throught about adjusting each stem individually.

As an update to this thread... I tried time-stretching in Reason using the entire track at high resolution (24-bit/96kHz). It didn't create any artefacts and sounded ok to my ears, but Dave reported that it had a slight "hollowness" (akin to MP3 compression) when compared to the other original tracks.

That was as far as we got! :)

Yeah, we got picky I'm afraid. :)

Then we shouted down the singer as it's only a demo, and the real recording later in the year can get done by playing it faster on the f*&^ing takes. :)

Paul did a stand up job though, i was on to the 3rd set of speakers before I spotted it.

I would have snuck it through without saying anything if the actual engineer who's been mixing for us hadn't piped up.

We had to do this on a project.
We did as Si mentioned, but we exported the tracks/stems without the FX etc.
Did the change in a fresh project [with no FX] just raw Audio,
Then Imported the tracks back into the original project, cloned the original track with FX and settings intact,
and replaced with the new track[s] then muted/archived all the original tracks.
We did this because we were having some odd things happening with some brass and string section stems/busses which were
Reverb and Delay related.
All was fine after with very good results.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1359389400' post='1953995']
We did this because we were having some odd things happening with some brass and string section stems/busses which were
Reverb and Delay related.

Garry
[/quote]

Good point - I hadn't thought about delay sync and reverb tails and time stretching, thank you! :)

Edited by OldG

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1359389866' post='1954008']
Good point - I hadn't thought about delay sync and reverb tails and time stretching, thank you! :)
[/quote]

Was not so much delay sync [should not be a problem really - I think ?]
It was the long Legato sections just sounded odd - Staccato and Marcato things sounded ok [ish]
The new tempo went up about 10 bpm, and of course any beat delays fx just re synced to the new tempo in the DAW.
Drum and Percussion parts had no problems.

Garry