Why become a member? ×

Sansamp BDDI buzzing after bouncing

Monz

Does anyone know an amptech or someone they could recommend to have a look at my sansamp?

I managed to knock it off the top of my cab and it hit the floor with a sickening thump... now all I get is a (bad earth) type buzzing and I dont have the skills to sort it

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1358924853' post='1947043']
Be brave, open it up and have a look. From what you say it could be something as simple as detached screen lead on a jack socket. If it is this obvious it is an easy DIY fix.
[/quote]

+1 Sounds like a broken ground (screen) path.

In a similar incident this week, my dog knocked Rockbass Corvette 5 stringer over (yes I should put back in case). I go to play it, no sound. Open up control cavity, one wire detached from potentiometer. Easy DIY fix, and was not surprised, the soldering in this bass is not the best I have ever seen.

LOL

Right it's put together in a way to stop you getting the circuit board out without desoldering the input/output jacks completely off the board (bloody cowbags).

So put it all back together and had a play with all of the dials and the upshot is the presence pot is the problem... with it completely backed off the unit works ok. I need to find out if it can be replaced but I'm guessing the unit will be made in china or somewhere like that

Have thought about this a bit more (not sure of brain power after day at work though). The unit only working when presence pot full on could be symptomatic of a 'fractured' solder joint. If the pot is a pcb mounted one it seems even more likely. The fix might be as simple as 'reflowing' the solder joints of the pot on the pcb.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1359055329' post='1949214']
Have thought about this a bit more (not sure of brain power after day at work though). The unit only working when presence pot full on could be symptomatic of a 'fractured' solder joint. If the pot is a pcb mounted one it seems even more likely. The fix might be as simple as 'reflowing' the solder joints of the pot on the pcb.
[/quote]

+1. First stop is to reflow the solder joints to the pot. Maybe remove existing solder ( with solder wick ) and re solder.
Is there a screen/wire connected to the pot body itself ? If so then it's a suspect as such joints sometimes fail due to the pot body acting as a heatsink during soldering. The joint may then become unreliable over time (dry joint). Re make all the solder joints anyway.
Let us know how you get on.