Why become a member? ×

Everything Everything's new album- a provisional review by Milton.

MiltyG565

So if you haven't heard of this band before, you will, because they have a new album out, and there appears to be a big push to make it do well. If you go on spotify, you can listen to the latest album (and the old ones) which was released... oh, i don't know when, and i don't care when either, it was sometime this year anyway.

Now, if you haven't heard these guys before (I hadn't) do be warned, as far as i can tell so far, it's highly polished pop with rock undertones. Their bio on Spotify would have you believe it was indie, but to me, it definitely sounds more on the pop side of things.

The first song on the album is called Cough Cough, and it annoyed me. At first, the way it started startled me, then i tried listening, and i just found it plain old annoying, after 15 seconds, i skipped portions of the song to find that it didn't change much through out the song.

And here is the face of indifference- [url="https://twitter.com/MiltonG565/status/291539085267456000/photo/1/large"]https://twitter.com/...0/photo/1/large[/url]

I wouldn't feel right commenting any further on this until i have heard the rest of the album, but let it be known- The rest of the album needs to be good to make up for the initial shock of Cough Cough.

*** REST OF REVIEW ***

So i have listened to the rest of the album, and i have to say, apart from Cough Cough, it was quite good. I've made a few quick scribbly notes.

Cough Cough and Armourland start in a similar vein, but Armourland gets good, and the chorus in particular i really liked about it. When i say they start similar, i mean in terms of the drums, and the very staccato-ish cut up drums and vocals. The course of Armourland sounds like a real hit (although i cringe at the thought of ever using that term in a professional sense.). It is an incredibly catchy chorus, which i think would definitely pass the old grey whistle test. but unfortunately, i find the verses a bit busy, and nearly airing towards experimental.

I have also made special note of 3 other tracks on the album which I think are especially good. They are- The Peaks, Don't Try and Justice.

The Peaks starts off with a simple drum beat, and miscellaneous sounds, but after a short while, the singer starts singing, and it's a very mellow affair. The song is very uncluttered, but it has this building synth that starts out very low in the mix, but by the end, is very much at the top of the mix, which is a cool effect. The guitar playing and bass playing on this song are all very slow and broken down. It's a very nice song indeed.

Don't Try is a typical indie track. But the lyrics verge on rap at points. The pre-chorus is very nice, where it goes into a bit of a breakdown. It then builds up to the chorus, where the harmonies and lead vocals come together very nicely and fit right in with the keys, guitar, bass and drums.

Justice is a song that would put me in the mind of a song that is actually a lot heavier than this one. The breakdown/solo is a bit odd i think, but on the whole, this song is pretty seamless, with very slick changes, and i think it could actually be one of the best tracks on the album (in my opinion of course).

So with that said, i have to say that the vocalist has a great voice, and obviously a good range. The bass playing, drums, guitar and keys were stellar, i couldn't find any faults with them at all.

Like i said earlier, i found Cough Cough a very annoying song, and i actually think it was a bad one to put first on the album. The thing that got me with this album was the cleaness of everything. I could hear not a single bad thing in the background, no mistakes in the playing, or anything like that at all. Like i said, it's a highly polished album.

In all, i would say that this album has it's winners and sore losers, like a lot of albums, but i really am in 2 minds whether to like it or not. I didn't get an overwhelming feeling in either direction after listening to the entire album. I suppose the jury's out on this one for me, sorry.

Edited by MiltyG565

Excuse me for being an old cynic, but the pop machine is currently busting it's arse to get EE in our faces. I've seen lots of pop boys (and girls) come and go me, and I'll make this prediction: EE will be totally forgotten by summer.

And yes, I do have envy issues. :P[size=4] :D[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1358344090' post='1937318']
My lad sent me a text directing me to go buy a copy immediately he was so impressed. I haven't (what, actually BUY music?!) but intend to get a listen somewhere. I loved their last one, and on Jools.
[/quote]

I suppose if it's what you're in to, you would like it. I do like indie, but Cough Cough just annoyed the hell out of me. Listening further, there are a few gems in it, but some that i reckon should probably not even have made the final cut. with 19 songs on one album, they could afford to cut a couple of the stragglers out.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358344127' post='1937319']
Excuse me for being an old cynic, but the pop machine is currently busting it's arse to get EE in our faces. I've seen lots of pop boys (and girls) come and go me, and I'll make this prediction: EE will be totally forgotten by summer.

And yes, I do have envy issues. :P :D
[/quote]

Oh, do you think i haven't noticed? There was so much talk about this album (which i only found out about today) i had to give it a listen. There were ads on youtube and facebook and everywhere. Just making notes on the other songs now. Full review on a couple of hours :)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1358344500' post='1937336']
...There was so much talk about this album (which I only found out about today) I had to give it a listen. There were ads on youtube and facebook and everywhere...[/quote]

Aaaahhh! The machine is working! Run away! Run away!
[size=4]Another good reason (if one were needed) to avoid facebook. In my humble opinion, of course. [/size] :P

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358345213' post='1937364']
Aaaahhh! The machine is working! Run away! Run away!
Another good reason (if one were needed) to avoid facebook. In my humble opinion, of course. :P
[/quote]

Haha, indeed!

Oh, fire alarm... even the house doesn't want to hear it.

I started an EE thread a while ago and they seem to have some respect from a good few BCers, I posted a clip from this album in it. I love Cough Cough, but my favourite number at the moment is Torso of the Week.

I think it's a glorious album, they are extremely creative, the lyrics are wonderfully written and interpretable at the listener's whim. For me this band is a shining beacon of great songwriting and musicality. I'm thinking they have a very bright future.

At those who reckon the world of pop music is crap and keep bitching about how they can't find any good music because they are blinded by Florence and Jessie J and Gaga (who are all excellent IMO) should check this band out. Jeremy Pritchard is a great bassist if that matters to you :)

I'm absolutely loving Arc.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358344127' post='1937319']

And yes, I do have envy issues. :P :D
[/quote]

That's what you have to do these days. PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE. You run the risk of pissing a few miserable old gits off I suppose :P

I've not heard any of their recorded stuff, but saw them live about four years ago at The Social in Nottingham. I'm surprised to hear them described as pop, as they were pretty rocky and quirky, almost verging on prog at times!
Looking forward to having a listen to the album.
Regarding heavy marketing of the band, how does that make a difference to whether or not you like a band? It just makes more people aware of them. Maybe I'm being naïve, and people are influenced by hype more that I thought :-)

Btw, should this not be in Off Topic?

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1358359910' post='1937828']
I've not heard any of their recorded stuff, but saw them live about five years ago at The Social in Nottingham. I'm surprised to hear them described as pop, as they were pretty rocky and quirky, almost verging on prog at times!
Looking forward to having a listen to the album.
Regarding heavy marketing of the band, how does that make a difference to whether or not you like a band? It just makes more people aware of them.

Btw, should this not be in Off Topic?
[/quote]

Prog Pop is how I'd describe it.

Why Off Topic? It's a general discussion about a musical ensemble, OT is for rants about the price of clown outfits and announcing you've found love or whatever.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358360076' post='1937831']

Why Off Topic? It's a general discussion about a musical ensemble, OT is for rants about the price of clown outfits and announcing you've found love or whatever.
[/quote]

Prog pop, sounds fair enough :-)
I always regard General Discussion as being more bass related, rather than music in general, but no biggie (is that a phrase that makes anyone vomit?)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358359706' post='1937822']
That's what you have to do these days. PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE. You run the risk of pissing a few miserable old gits off I suppose :P
[/quote]

Agggghh NOOO!!! It's N. 'Fear of God' Dale! Run away! Run away! :o[size=4] [/size]

Yes I understand of course, but I just can't abide facebook. It's creepy. So very creepy. And it will enslave humanity, I tells ya! :crazy:[size=4] [/size]
It'll be compulsory soon, you mark my words young fella-me-lad. * Drains glass of Wincarnis and applies Ralgex to left buttock *

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358360559' post='1937847']
Agggghh NOOO!!! It's N. 'Fear of God' Dale! Run away! Run away! :o

Yes I understand of course, but I just can't abide facebook. It's creepy. So very creepy. And it will enslave humanity, I tells ya! :crazy:
It'll be compulsory soon, you mark my words young fella-me-lad. * Drains glass of Wincarnis and applies Ralgex to left buttock *
[/quote]

:D

FB's alright, f***ing useful if you are in a band.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1358360298' post='1937842']
Prog pop, sounds fair enough :-)
I always regard General Discussion as being more bass related, rather than music in general, but no biggie (is that a phrase that makes anyone vomit?)
[/quote]

It used to be, but the name and purpose changed to GD rather than GBD.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358360076' post='1937831']

[/quote]

That's totally what it is actually! I would even go as far to say prog synth pop.

I actually agree with nearly everything you have said silddx, except what songs i like. They are very creative, and in terms of musicality, also great, but there was just something about the album that i didn't like, and i think to start with Cough Cough really just made it have to overcome that the entire way through the album, and i just didn't find anything that i liked enough to give it an over "It's really good". But i agree with you, this is one of those bands that will shut up the whole "Pop is full of X,Y's and Z's" kind of people. I don't listen to much pop myself, but i know that quite a few people in the pop world are actually terrific musicians, and very talented indeed. They aren't all auto-tune sex objects.

You're a fan because you like the music, i would be a fan if the music was a little bit more appealing to me, but other than that, i couldn't fault them. It is incredible how clean everything is, there's nothing in the album that they didn't intend to be there, nothing even slightly out of place. I've never encountered that, it's pretty impressive.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1358360970' post='1937855']
That's totally what it is actually! I would even go as far to say prog synth pop.

I actually agree with nearly everything you have said silddx, except what songs i like. They are very creative, and in terms of musicality, also great, but there was just something about the album that i didn't like, and i think to start with Cough Cough really just made it have to overcome that the entire way through the album, and i just didn't find anything that i liked enough to give it an over "It's really good". But i agree with you, this is one of those bands that will shut up the whole "Pop is full of X,Y's and Z's" kind of people. I don't listen to much pop myself, but i know that quite a few people in the pop world are actually terrific musicians, and very talented indeed. They aren't all auto-tune sex objects.

You're a fan because you like the music, i would be a fan if the music was a little bit more appealing to me, but other than that, i couldn't fault them. It is incredible how clean everything is, there's nothing in the album that they didn't intend to be there, nothing even slightly out of place. I've never encountered that, it's pretty impressive.
[/quote]

f***ing hard to play live too, I imagine. Lots of multi-tasking going on in a Rush kinda way. The singer and the bassist both got degrees in contemporary music at Salford, where BC's Jake Newman used to be head of the bass department.