Why become a member? ×

active....or passive?

CHRISDABASS

[quote name='artisan' post='219926' date='Jun 16 2008, 03:23 PM']passive all the way for me,if a bass has more knobs on it i just f*** about with 'em all the more instead of just playing the bloody thing.

btw glad you got the stacked controls Chris all you need now is another set for the jazz you bought of me :) .[/quote]

its your bass ive just put the stacks in!!

looks and sounds fantastic!

i already had them in my frankenstein!!

passive just sounds so good when my mesa big block is just on the edge of overdrive so you can dig in and get that nice bit of grind and grunt!! love it!!! :huh:

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='220206' date='Jun 16 2008, 09:57 PM']its your bass ive just put the stacks in!!

looks and sounds fantastic!

i already had them in my frankenstein!!

passive just sounds so good when my mesa big block is just on the edge of overdrive so you can dig in and get that nice bit of grind and grunt!! love it!!! :)[/quote]
aha nice one, glad you're lovin' it mate :huh:

[quote name='crez5150' post='219935' date='Jun 16 2008, 03:39 PM']18V of Active goodiness every time!!!![/quote]
Yup :)

Unless I'm playing my Grooves, in which case it's 9V.

And my new bass (see build diary) is gonna be passive.

Erm. That makes my arsenal a bit of a mixed bag.

[quote name='Merton' post='220582' date='Jun 17 2008, 01:57 PM']Yup :)

Unless I'm playing my Grooves, in which case it's 9V.

And my new bass (see build diary) is gonna be passive.

Erm. That makes my arsenal a bit of a mixed bag.[/quote]

I have a passive P, and passive Jazz and an active Stingray. In their own way i think they are the best at what they do and for me it depends how I feel. A bit like - do I want to drive my new sports car or my classic sports car or the hatchback today. There isn't one size-fits-all - Oh yeah there is, It's called a Stingray! :huh:

In earlyer Years I´ve allways thought, it has to be active. So I bought Basses with 2- and 3-Way Electronics, with parametric Mids and so on...

Then I bought my Jazz Bass, my Maruszczyk Elwood and there it was, the Tone I´ve searched so long. Now I only play passive Basses and I find them punchier...Hard to explain...with more Balls, you know?!

So...for me, I came to the Decision that I don´t play Basses with a Battery in it.

:)

[quote name='Huggy and the Bears' post='220596' date='Jun 17 2008, 02:16 PM']I have a passive P, and passive Jazz and an active Stingray. In their own way i think they are the best at what they do and for me it depends how I feel. A bit like - do I want to drive my new sports car or my classic sports car or the hatchback today. There isn't one size-fits-all - Oh yeah there is, It's called a Stingray! :huh:[/quote]

i think the ray is the only active bass that sounded right to my ears!

if its a jazz or a P though passive seems to definatly sound best for what i do!

:)

My 75ri got preamped and new pups etc, and then a week later all back out, sounds much nice just passive! and my trust old blue 62ri had a graphite neck, emgs and a j retro and now sounds nice without the pre, but still too 'sterile' so im trying to decide between changing the pups or the neck...actually any thoughts on that would be great...which to ditch graphite or emgs?

Edited by gafbass02