Why become a member? ×

Finding a matching cab

Bassection

Hello there, people of BC!

I'm going to be buying an Ashdown ABM 500 Evo III over the weekend, and I'd like some advice on a matching cab.
I've been looking at Ampeg's, but can't really see a huge amount available within my budget. I think I'd like to stay away from getting an Ashdown cab (A couple of people have recommended this) but don't know what else will compliment this head like an Ampeg.

I'll be using the setup for home use and small gigs around the pubs and clubs, so something that can be heard but isn't too substantial.
I'm looking at spending around £300 on a new cab to match my upcoming buy: Please, share your wisdom and your stories with me! Regardless of what I've said already, I'm open to any suggestions around my budget price, new or used!

Not sure why youd specifically stay away from ashdown, particularly if you havent heard them. Both mag and abm cabs have served me well over the years.

As above though, just keep an eye on classifieds, theres some great gear to be had not very expensively if you dont need lightweight lightweight - peavey, trace in particular.

Enjoy the hunt!

Use your ears & go try as many cabs as you can. The so called "matching cab" is the one that sounds good to you.
I don't like Ashdown or Ampeg. I don't hate them, but there's many that I'd choose over them. But then the fine chap above likes his Ashdowns, neither of us are wrong.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1357801865' post='1928505']
Use your ears & go try as many cabs as you can.[/quote]
The problem with this is taking my bass and head everywhere with me to try them out.
Lugging them a mile on foot to the nearest music shop is a pain in the ass (I should really get a car)

I appreciate that it's down to personal preference, and I've heard Ashdown's paired with Hartke heads that sounded nice, but the friend that recommended staying clear of Ashdown cabs knows my desired tone quite well.

I imagine it would be quite a chore if you don't have a car.
Maybe if you find a shop that has the same head as you have & a selection of cabs that you like, then jump on a train (Warwick could be a good day out as there's a good shop there). They might even have your bass to save taking it.

Ive been a long time user of Ashdown up until recently where i switched to Hartke. During this transition ive ran an Ashdown 330 with my MAG 414T (4ohm 4x10) and later the Hartke HA5500 thru the same cab. With the full ashdown set up i did get mud/wool easily (could EQ out easily enough tho) but with the Hartke head and Ashdown cab its just a really nice pure rumbling tight tone. Leads me to believe the wool came from the head not the cab. Im not just saying this because im selling the cab but im FAIRLY local so you could always give your head and bass a go through my cab. If you like it then we can do a deal or you could just go away knowing that Ashdown isnt for you