Why become a member? ×

What would you do?

Skinnyman

Sorry if this seems like a dumb topic to raise but I have a bit of a dilemma and I'd like to pick a few brains because mine is over-tired....

I have a Ric 4003 which I love. Perfectly happy with it, don't want to change.

However....

Last year I did my shoulder in and just couldn't stretch my left arm properly, to the extent that the weight and size of the Ric pretty much killed me every gig.

So I bought a lovely little SG standard bass - light weight, short scale - which was a perfect solution while the cortizone kicked in.

But now I have a dilemma. I've gone back to the Ric as my "main" bass and just drag the SG along to gigs as a spare (which seems like a waste of a really good bass in many ways). I'd play it more but it doesn't do anything that the Ric doesn't - this may sound stupid, but it's just not "different" enough.

However, there are times when I'd really like to get a nice smooth, mellow kind of a sound so I'm thinking of going with flatwounds and I'm wondering whether to put a set of flats on the SG or whether to sell the SG and get a P-bass (MIM,or one of the VM Squiers - any other suggestions?) and stick a set of flats on that.

So my question is - what would you do? Will flats mellow out the SG? Anyone tried that combination? Or what else would you suggest? P-bass? Alternatives? Bearing in mind I should get about 400 - 450 for the SG, I'm looking to get something at the same price - something used for preference.

Thanks!!

Edited by Skinnyman

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1357771834' post='1928325']
2nd hand Fender P, made in Japan
[/quote]

+1. And if you want a really warm mellow old-school sound, flats on that, and maybe swap the pickup - either Seymour Duncan SPB1 for very smooth, or Fender Original/Vintage which has more mids than the SPB1, but is still less aggressive sounding than stock pups.

For the price of a set of flats I'd just buy them and see for myself. That way you don't make any rash decisions without being completely informed.

If you don't like the SG, another thought would be to get a short scale Fender like a Mustang? Best of both worlds then, maybe?

Thanks all....linteresting how the consensus is for the Japanese P-bass rather than a Mexican. Any other suggestions for a decent P-bass copy?

It's not that I don't like the SG - I just don't think it's sonically different enough from the Ric so Paul's suggestion of sticking a set of flats on it to see what they sound like has a lot going for it. So my next question - what flats would you suggest? ~I'm thinking about LaBellas but they seem to be hard to get hold of in short scale.

[quote name='Skinnyman' timestamp='1357821476' post='1928888']
Thanks all....linteresting how the consensus is for the Japanese P-bass rather than a Mexican. Any other suggestions for a decent P-bass copy?
[/quote]

I'm also looking for a good P-style-bass, and after suggestions here and reading various reviews, I'm adding the Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub (44-64) and the Fret-King perception to my to-try list (neither are stocked by many shops though unfortunately)

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1357826249' post='1929032']
Squier Classic Vibe P-Bass. #simples
[/quote]

That suggestion wouldn't have anything to do with the fact your sig says you have one for sale, would it? :)

Actually, it's a good thought - I tried one in a shop yesterday alongside a Mexican FSR and was very impressed - I thought it was every bit as good, if not better, than the FSR.

At this stage, I'm just trying to get a shortlist together before I start looking seriously - and let's face it, this is half the fun!!

That said, is your CV listed on here?

In case anyone's interested, I stuck a pair of LaBella flats on the SG today. Wow. What a difference! I love it - this is just what I've been searching for. Of course, the acid test will be to see how it sounds when I gig with it up against two (loud) guitarists - but first impressions are really good.

As thing's stand, I've just saved myself the cost of a precision.

Which is not to say I won't get a Precision but that's only because you can't have enough basses - and I really miss the Squier fretless I sold a couple of years ago in a fit of madness....

But for now, I'm loving the LaBellas