Why become a member? ×

Mark King "Influences" Solo CD

Phaedrus

It’s got to be worth a punt for 3 quid. I can't say I'm really into the Mark King sound/style of playing. I can fully appreciate the skill and ability of the man (he's most likely better than I'll ever eventually be), just not my thing.

[size=1]Bass player with an ego on the level of a guitarist’s? (here come the angry responses….)[/size]

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='200423' date='May 16 2008, 02:01 PM']It’s got to be worth a punt for 3 quid. I can't say I'm really into the Mark King sound/style of playing. I can fully appreciate the skill and ability of the man (he's most likely better than I'll ever eventually be), just not my thing.

[size=1]Bass player with an ego on the level of a guitarist’s? (here come the angry responses….)[/size][/quote]

Totally agree with you. :)

MB1. :)
Mr King does a version of Cream "i feel free" on this which puts poor Brucey in the shade!
The Essential is a great instrumental along the lines of "The pursuit of Accidents"
There is a ridiculously fast solo on "There is a dog"............
An absolute stonker of a SOLO album.....DONT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT?......AS THEY SAY? :huh:

Mark king is a awesome bass player but slap is just not my thing, i do enjoy listening to him every now and again and i do own a couple of level 42 albums only because an ex girlfriend of mine from many moons ago was level 42 mad and i think the albums i have are probably hers

[quote name='ashgeezer' post='200435' date='May 16 2008, 02:19 PM']Mark king is a awesome bass player but slap is just not my thing, i do enjoy listening to him every now and again and i do own a couple of level 42 albums only because an ex girlfriend of mine from many moons ago was level 42 mad and i think the albums i have are probably hers[/quote]

MB1. :)
"The albums i have are probably hers"......Yeah! :huh:
"There not mine!......Honest Governor" :huh:

[quote name='ashgeezer' post='200457' date='May 16 2008, 02:32 PM']MB1 Youv"e certainly got me sussed, ok i admit they are mine but i only listen to em every now and again. :)[/quote]

MB1. :huh:
"IT'S O.K!....... Youre amongst Friends! :huh: :huh:

This CD has it all - I Feel Free is truly a fantastic version. The Cream boys would even have to admit that.

It's certainly not all slap, or even all flash bass playing (thought obviously there is plenty).

Hey, I jus put it up here as a heads-up.

For £3, IMO, it's a bona fide title to have in the collection of any person with an interest in any style of bass playing.

Mark

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='200479' date='May 16 2008, 02:52 PM']For £3, IMO, it's a bona fide title to have in the collection of any person with an interest in any style of bass playing.[/quote]

+1

I ordered it regardless of my previous statement about not being a fan of Mark King. For any bass player it's got to be worth a listen and £3 is hardly going to break the bank.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok – well it arrived a while ago but I’ve just listened to it. The first 3 mins were painful, and I mean really painful, so painful in fact that I almost turned it off. It just sounded like some ultimate cheese funk muzak for hotel lobbies etc…but I’m glad I persisted with it because overall it’s a great CD and well worth the £3 :huh: “The Essential” is an amazing track (bar the first 3mins though, obviously :))
Loads of great musical ideas and really interesting melodies going off all over the place, and it’s not just that twangy Mark King slap sound, there’s some great grooving finger bass lines. “I Feel Free” has a bit of that 80’s cheesy pop sound to it, but strangely I found myself getting into it.
This is nothing like the sort of stuff I listen to but I think it’s a great ‘solo’ CD and shows how good a musician Mark King actually is and it has got to be a must for any bass player @ £3!!!