Why become a member? ×

Fairport Convention Dirty Linen help ?

dmccombe7

I have an audition next week and they've asked me what i think about Dirty Linen by Fairport Convention. Great song and first time i've heard it.
Does anyone have the bass tabs for this one as would save me a lot of time trying to learn for next week. I also have another 6 songs to learn so they haven't exactly given me a lot of time considering i have a day job.
Would be nice to nail this one as i think its more a test. The other songs are pretty standard affairs and relatively simple so won't be a problem.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Dave

I've got the sheet music for this somewhere but a quick search of the music cupboard has failed to turn it up. Bugger.

Dirty Linen is a medly of 4 tunes:

Last Night's Fun, 2 part 9/8 (slip) jig - first part Am second part D, though Peggy mostly plays the melody.
Paddy on the Railroad - a reel in D
Drops of Brandy - 3 part 9/8 jig in G
Poll Ha'penny - this is really a hornpipe but played in this set as a reel, mostly in the key of A

You should be able to find all of these tunes noted at thesession.org ,

I've tabbed out the first tune, I'll try and scan it in and post it somewhere.

I can probably tab other bits of it out if you're still stuck. Let me know which bits you're struggling with.

Sounds like my kind of band, good luck with the audition.

Edited by pete.young

The version on Full house and recent live versions on youtube are a touch slower than older live versions. 2nd section is particularly fast and all played around 12th/14th fret with slide up to 16th fret F#. Last section all down at bottom of neck, with lots of control over open strings needed. It's hard work, but fun. I'd break it down into the sections mentioned in the above post and work on each at a time. Good luck!

Yep - having had a first stab at it i would agree its the lower end open string control that is posing more problems than i would have thought.
I've never had to play that fast and continuously on open strings for many yrs so its def a challenge.

Will get there but not sure i'll manage for the audition along with the other tracks to learn.
I think they have obviously set a difficult challenge to see how people get on with it.
Nice touch on their part and i would try this kind of thing too if i was auditioning.

If anyone can offer the tabs or music it would be gratefully appreciated and speed things up for me a bit though.

Dave

How's this for the first tune?

Play the top line twice, then the bottom line twice. Spaces on the stave are E A D G strings, starting from the bottom. The blot half way through the second line is supposed to be a '4' !

Edit: Drat, I've rotated the image on photobucket, but including the IMG doesn't seem to pick that up. The image URL is http://s46.beta.photobucket.com/user/cr0ut0n/media/LastNightsFunbasstab_zps400d3b6e.jpg.html

If this is no good send me an email address and I'll email you scanned image.

Edited by pete.young

I'm only just realising how talented this guy is. I had never really listened to them before but it has opened my eyes to a whole new genre of playing which is challenging but very enjoyable. Sometimes its good to push yourself and extend your boundaries a little.

Gonna work on it a bit more today and see how i get on.

I think if i can nail the basic riff of the song for the audition it will be enough as they have come back to me to explain it was more a question of " do you think you could tackle this" rather than learn for the audition.
Bit of a relief but i would like to do it and show i am capable of it. Would be a nice touch i think.

Cheers
Dave

Everytime I've seen him play it live Pegg used a pick rather than fingers (he's also a great mandolin player) and I tend to do the same if I'm playing jigs and reels. For me I find it makes for a more consistent sound when playing fast.

Drops of Brandy works well up at the top of the neck (it's even more fun down at the bottom but I'm a masochist). The important part is to get that 9/8 feel, [b]dee[/b]- da- /diddle-ee-/ diddle-ee// for three bars and then a turn around in bar four (dee-da/dee-da/diddle-ee or some variation thereof). If you listen to the drum part it's even more apparent (except if Mattacks decides to run two bars together)

Have fun, I have Drops in treble clef if it's any help.

Steve

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1357467076' post='1922866']
Everytime I've seen him play it live Pegg used a pick rather than fingers (he's also a great mandolin player) and I tend to do the same if I'm playing jigs and reels. For me I find it makes for a more consistent sound when playing fast.

Drops of Brandy works well up at the top of the neck (it's even more fun down at the bottom but I'm a masochist). The important part is to get that 9/8 feel, [b]dee[/b]- da- /diddle-ee-/ diddle-ee// for three bars and then a turn around in bar four (dee-da/dee-da/diddle-ee or some variation thereof). If you listen to the drum part it's even more apparent (except if Mattacks decides to run two bars together)

Have fun, I have Drops in treble clef if it's any help.

Steve
[/quote]

I like your dee-da explanation - it portrays it very well and i picked up on what you meant right away.
If you have it in treble clef it would help as well if you don't mind sending or posting for me.
Anything that helps i will accept graciously.

cheers
Dave

Drops of Brandy in G major is available here. This is a pretty good version of the tune although it may differ slightly from the Fairport version.

[url="http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/tmp/Tune22971.pdf"]http://trillian.mit....p/Tune22971.pdf[/url]

If there's a problem just go into the main site and do a search, this version is about four up from the bottom of the list of versions.

Have fun

Steve

URL for main site is [url="http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/tunefind"]http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/tunefind[/url]

Edited by oggiesnr