Why become a member? ×

Nice mixing Freebie

lowdown

Haha, nothing like shiny new toy syndrome is there :D I have to fight that all the time, I listen to some older mixes and have to remind myself they were done without xyz shiny toy.

This is helped by the fact I am involved in a recording project that is getting on for 3 years old now, and one goal is for anything done now to have the same intrinsic sound as things done then, so I use the same old vsts and so on as I did when I started the project. It still sounds excellent to me (and the other collaborators) so its not just about the tools you use, its very much how you are using them.

Bootsy's stuff is brilliant for saturation, and adding something subtle but special. But that doesnt mean I dont reach for the Reaper compression probably more than half the time...

Reaper's compressors are very excellent at clean,transparent type of stuff, for sure - I'm also experimenting with the likes of [url="http://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/molot/"]Molot[/url] and [url="http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/announcing-density-mkiii-providing-depth-and-dimension-mastering-grade/"]Density3[/url] for character/colour.

And yeah I love a shiny new toy! Plugins are great as the free ones tend to be really good these days - much better on the wallet than GASsing for Basses and Guitars. :)

Edited by OldG

Yeah totally agree, I like Molot and strap Density III over the two buss a lot as well, just tickling it but it definitely does something 'good' in that scenario to my ears.

Also rather like the old Fishfillets blockfish for parallel compression on drums sometimes, and I dont no how many others, but I still generally look at Reacomp as a starting point and thne see if on eof the others will do the same job better after that if I think its not quite right. Its worked for me for a long time now.

Free quality VSTs have meant that you really have to bring your game to mixing now, because its not the plugs you own so much as how you use them that seperates the men from the boys I think...