Why become a member? ×

Buying a Bass Online

Gully35

That's what I was lead to believe, but earlier this year they quoted me for a Fender 62 AV P Bass and again for a different Fender a couple of months back. I know the likes of Musician's Friend don't ship new Fenders internationally, so maybe Sweetwater had to toe the line too.

To be honest, I have played somewhere close to 100 Fenders, (my own, other people's and shop stock; I am fender mad :P), and I have only disliked 1 of them. It was an MiM, perfectly playable, nice build quality, but it sounded like cr@p, haha :P

I understand that different people have different standards etc, but I'm not quite sure that I subscribe to the idea that you have to try a Fender before you buy it. I haven't found a Fender that I couldn't get on with within 2 or 3 minutes of casual playing.

and besides, if you really don't like it, you have 7 days to return it and get another one :P

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1356571117' post='1911355']
To be honest, I have played somewhere close to 100 Fenders, (my own, other people's and shop stock; I am fender mad :P), and I have only disliked 1 of them. It was an MiM, perfectly playable, nice build quality, but it sounded like cr@p, haha :P

I understand that different people have different standards etc, but I'm not quite sure that I subscribe to the idea that you have to try a Fender before you buy it. I haven't found a Fender that I couldn't get on with within 2 or 3 minutes of casual playing.

and besides, if you really don't like it, you have 7 days to return it and get another one :P
[/quote]

I like Fenders and have also owned and played quite a few...but I would say you have been lucky. The quality is variable in my experience.

The new US models currently being produced are some of the best I have played. Fender has finally got their s**t together!

[quote name='Gully35' timestamp='1356567053' post='1911327']
Sweetwater aren't allowed to ship fender products internationally they say.
Maybe to do with the price? The 2012 jazz USA standards are £1066.00 on all UK websites.
[/quote]

US Fender dealers are not allowed to ship new basses overseas as part of their preferential price dealership agreements.

However, some of them will sell 'ex demo' or 'used' models - in some of these cases the 'demo' consists of them taking it out of the box and looking at it. . .

Edited by molan

Ordered an American Standard Jazz 2012 in Olympic white with rosewood neck from the GAK shop.
I emailed Mark on here and he told me to contact the bass department and they had a couple in stock. The guy was very helpful and checked the bass while I was on the phone.

£1066 and some free strings. It's the same price everywhere I tried. Dawsons didn't have any in stock and I didn't want to wait a couple of weeks.
The guy in the bass dept at the GAK shop was good to deal with, he made sure I was getting one of the basses they had in the shop rather than the online warehouse.

[quote name='Gully35' timestamp='1356620730' post='1911701']
£1066 and some free strings. It's the same price everywhere I tried. Dawsons didn't have any in stock and I didn't want to wait a couple of weeks.
The guy in the bass dept at the GAK shop was good to deal with, he made sure I was getting one of the basses they had in the shop rather than the online warehouse.
[/quote]

Congrats on the new bass! Nice one.