Why become a member? ×

Cars for Bassplayers

cloudburst

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1358895804' post='1946918']
You were never going to buy one, but if in the future you think "I'd quite like a Citroen", sit down and take a deep breath and then think about what just entered your head.

It would be a pointless exercise to buy said car because you won't get to use it. For the majority of its existence it'll be in the garage workshop probably being repaired for the umpteenth time for a fault that just can't be fixed.
[/quote]

Marv... can i call you Marv? This is just french cars all over. My dad used to have an old peugeot 309. There was a light that always came on (stayed on constantly) that said their was a fault with the oil pump (or maybe it was the glow plugs). But after changing the pump (or plugs) twice, the light still stayed on. I think he even replaced the light. In the end, he decided it was "A f*** up of a thing" and took the light out entirely. It's just some of the incredibly ANNOYING character you get with a french car. It's like a friend that snorts when they laugh. If you are really unlucky, it's like a really ugly friend that tries to get you into bed every time they are drunk.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1358897959' post='1946951']
Oh well. Didn't want a temperate planet anyway (sour grapes...). The next generations are going to love us. Good luck with the fiddling while Rome burns, first-worlders... :(
[/quote]

I don't believe in global warming, or that climate change is caused by humans. For one, we are right at the start of an ice age, the climate is going to change. also all this "Sea levels rising" crap, how about stop dumping stuff in the sea, especially massive boats! The Ice caps melting... aren't they essentially ice cubes in a drink? they displace as much volume as they contain, so when they melt, there will be no increase or decrease in the sea level.

I do, however, care about being able to drive a car in the next 10, 20, 30 years. I love driving, and love the internal combustion engine, and want to continue to use them until i'm an old man (like most of you sour gits :D ) and i don't want to have to pay through the nose just for that privilege. To me, having an electric or hydrogen powered car would just remove all the fun, and the thing about driving that i actually like- Changing gears. It sounds odd, but no. Driving a manual car well is all in the gear changes (and steering, but you need to know what gear you can take a corner in). I won't get that joy with electric cars (no gears). I suppose i could still run a car on vegetable oil... but there's no go from it :(

Totally agree.

"Save the Planet" is a misnomer. The planet, if the ecology spins out of control, may cease to support humans. But equilibrium will return. And life may return.

"Save us" is really what the greenies mean.

Personally I don't think we are worth saving. Observe our capitalism, lack of love for each other and how we are continually fighting and killing one another, or letting one another die as we look the other way.

Watch Big Brother.

Listen to Sandi Thom.

Then try to tell me we don't need a 'REBOOT' courtesy of a willing asteroid.

CB

Edited by cloudburst

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1359063452' post='1949428']
Totally agree.

"Save the Planet" is a misnomer. The planet, if the ecology spins out of control, may cease to support humans. But equilibrium will return. And life may return.

"Save us" is really what the greenies mean.

Personally I don't think we are worth saving. Observe our capitalism, lack of love for each other and how we are continually fighting and killing one another, or letting one another die as we look the other way.

Watch Big Brother.

Listen to Sandi Thom.

Then try to tell me we don't need a 'REBOOT' courtesy of a willing asteroid.

CB
[/quote]

I don't mind dying, and i don't mind life ceasing to exist, but one thing i hope, if life DID return, i genuinely hope that religion never becomes a thing again. Think of the amount of wars that would be avoided!

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1359063677' post='1949436']
I don't mind dying, and i don't mind life ceasing to exist, but one thing i hope, if life DID return, i genuinely hope that religion never becomes a thing again. Think of the amount of wars that would be avoided!
[/quote]

Couldn't have put that any better. The word "religion" is a negative word in my book. But yet so many church-goers wear it as a badge of honour. Faith would be a word that I'd be happier for these people to have and use. If that's their bag.

CB

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1359068298' post='1949561']
Is this because it'll only cause a certain Canadian songstress to croon about them ad infinitum?

CB
[/quote]

I don't get the reference.

No, it's because putting something into the sea displaces the volume of that object. Put enough 5000 room ocean cruisers in it, and obviously the sea levels will rise.

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1359071207' post='1949625']
Do you think the number of ships will raise the sea level by even a measurable amount? Never mind enough to cause any kind of flooding?
[/quote]

I don't think it's impossible. It's not just ships though, is it? So much waste gets put into the sea every day, especially in developing nations, who treat seas and lakes like a sewage (and more shockingly, drinking water) system.

I don't believe much of what i have been spoon-fed on climate change, because it's mostly bollocks.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1359071389' post='1949631']
I don't think it's impossible. It's not just ships though, is it? So much waste gets put into the sea every day, especially in developing nations, who treat seas and lakes like a sewage (and more shockingly, drinking water) system.

I don't believe much of what i have been spoon-fed on climate change, because it's mostly bollocks.
[/quote]

I'm not convinced on climate change either, but saying sea levels are rising due to putting things in the sea is absurd, sorry. It's probably negated by what we take out of the sea anyway.

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1359071504' post='1949633']
I'm not convinced on climate change either, but saying sea levels are rising due to putting things in the sea is absurd, sorry. It's probably negated by what we take out of the sea anyway.
[/quote]

I considered that, and decided that the amount of fish consumed couldn't be as big as the amount of massive boats being put in the sea. they weigh hundreds of thousands of tons, if not millions! and let's not forget the freight carriers, which regularly carry tons and tons of crap over from china. You get enough of them and it's going to become noticeable.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1359072119' post='1949644']
...and what about all those rivers, eh..? Chucking millions of litres into the sea ever since time began..! No wonder the sea level is rising. You can't beat basic, known, facts. I've seen it myself, so it must be (probably...) true. :mellow:
[/quote]

Haha, you're mocking me, but at least it's funny.

You are safe.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1359071762' post='1949636']
I considered that, and decided that the amount of fish consumed couldn't be as big as the amount of massive boats being put in the sea. they weigh hundreds of thousands of tons, if not millions! and let's not forget the freight carriers, which regularly carry tons and tons of crap over from china. You get enough of them and it's going to become noticeable.
[/quote]

You have got to be trolling me

Combined the oceans are approx 1.3 billion cubic kilometres. Even assuming pure water (sea water is much heavier) that's 1.3 quintillion tons. That's a lot of ships ;)

Edited by Protium

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1359072373' post='1949649']

Combined the oceans are approx 1.3 billion cubic kilometres. Even assuming pure water (sea water is much heavier) that's 1.3 trillion tons. That's a lot of ships ;)
[/quote]

1.3 trillion tons, and then what happens? It would be interesting to find out how much all the large ships in the ocean weight together, my guess is many many many millions of tons.

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1359072373' post='1949649']

Combined the oceans are approx 1.3 billion cubic kilometres. Even assuming pure water (sea water is much heavier) that's 1.3 trillion tons. That's a lot of ships ;)
[/quote]

I'll take your word on the volume, but 1 cubic km would weigh 1,000 x 1000 x 1000 tonnes (1 cubic metre weighs 1 tonne...)
Multiply by your 1.3 billion and we have a serious lot of zeros, and no idea of what such a number could be called (other than 'astronomical'..?).
Have I missed something..? Corrections welcomed.
(Don't mind me; carry on regardless...)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1359071504' post='1949633']
[b]I'm not convinced on climate change [/b]either, but saying sea levels are rising due to putting things in the sea is absurd, sorry. It's probably negated by what we take out of the sea anyway.
[/quote]

Perhaps you need to see why there is a concensus of scientists on the issue!
[url=http://royalsociety.org/policy/publications/2010/climate-change-summary-science/]Royal Society Summary[/url].

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1359061847' post='1949393']
The Ice caps melting... aren't they essentially ice cubes in a drink? they displace as much volume as they contain, so when they melt, there will be no increase or decrease in the sea level.
[/quote]

two things:

take 1ml of water. Freeze it. It's now more than 1ml. Ice occupies more space than liquid water.

So the ice under water will take up less space as it melts.

But the ice above water, that will all be added to it.

I can't remember exactly what's the proportion of surface/under sea (one and two thirds respectively?) and I can't remember exactly how much water expands as it freezes... but I think there is a substantially larger amount of water over the sea level than what can be absorbed after the under-sea ice melts.

I'm also sceptical about many "facts" thrown around regarding climate change... but that's another subject.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1359063677' post='1949436']
[/quote]

but humans just fight, regardless.

it can be about religion... or anything else that can be used to make a group of "us" versus a group of "them".

humans are fundamentally stupid when they group and stop thinking as an individual.

but I agree about religion being one of the worst evils: the hypocrisy in it is powerfully emetic. (talking mostly about the catholic church, as that's the one I have observed the closest)