Why become a member? ×

Janek Gwizdala giving away his albums for free download

davewarwickbass

If you play a gig for free, it is most likely that other people are still making a profit from your performance - usually the bar at which you perform. If you give away your recordings for free no-one else is profiting (although it could be argued that if you paid to use a recording studio, then they are, but then again that's the musician's choice).

I'm downloading Doddy's recommended ones.

To be honest there is no way I'd go out and buy one of his albums right now - I've only heard tiny bits of his stuff and nothing really got me excited.

However, if he's willing to give it away, then I will listen to it, and if I like it I may well get into it and buy something later or go and see his band. Without this possibility of hearing his stuff I just wouldn't.

So from that perspective he is doign a good thing for his chances of repeat business as it were. Its not like he is going to get much in the way of radio play after all!

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1358174570' post='1934219']
There are some very cool melodies on all the albums and Jojo mayer is one nasty drummer. Tim miller and keyboard player (name escapes me) are also toppety top. All fine musicians on all his albums. Well worth the time in my book.
[/quote]

I'm afraid great musicians need a context to perform in. Sadly a lot of these great musicians are not good composers and they need a good writer. These JG albums mostly sound like high end jams, which is fine if that's what you like, but I need more substance than displays of chops in a groove context in order to get me off.

In his new book he talks about giving the option of giving his music away and says that more people
actually chose to pay [i]something [/i]for the albumsthan get them for free.He talks about how giving stuff
away,like his music and some videos,helps to generate an income because people will go on to buy
his other albums,go to his gigs,subscribe to his lessons site etc.

With regards to the albums,I think there are some good melodies there-tunes like 'Four Brothers'(especially the
older live versions),'Mana','Culture' and 'Alibea' spring to mind.

OK, so listening to this its not nearly as hard to let flow over me than maybe Nigel's comments would have had me believe. Reminds me a little of the Flecktones older stuff in a couple of places (a bit, bear with me here ;))

Not too shabby and far more groove going on than I was expecting. Yes there is masses of soloing and what have you, but its only made me go cross eyed once or wice, maybe experimentations in dissonance a step to far for my gentle brain to cope with, but I'm sure I'll get over it :D

Thanks again...

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1358181619' post='1934390']
I've listened to a couple of the albums over the past few weeks. I haven't downloaded any because I simply can't get into the compositions.

More into Steve Lawson really.
[/quote]

Interesting. I heard some SL stuff a few months ago that he posted on Facebook, but it sounded even more random than JG's stuff. It was like a sort of gamelan nightmare, meditation music for serial killers.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358182125' post='1934403']
Interesting. I heard some SL stuff a few months ago that he posted on Facebook, but it sounded even more random than JG's stuff. It was like a sort of gamelan nightmare, meditation music for serial killers.
[/quote]

I know, odd in'it :).

I think if I'm going to listen to 'random' then it's got to be very random I suppose. I like the right on the edge experimentation...I think.

Anyway my secret's out now, I'm off to sharpen my knives :gas: :ph34r:

:)

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1358173405' post='1934190']
If you play a gig for free, it is most likely that other people are still making a profit from your performance - usually the bar at which you perform. If you give away your recordings for free no-one else is profiting (although it could be argued that if you paid to use a recording studio, then they are, [b]but then again that's the musician's choice[/b]).
[/quote]

Exactly my point.