Why become a member? ×

BassChat email address database compromised?

pelago

Have the administrators figured out whats up with the leak yet. I received another apparently identical "Newtown, Connecticut is the second Dunblane Primary-School Massacre." email again today on my basschat specific email address. I'm guessing nobody will say anything even if the leak is eventually found and plugged. I've been warning other websites about leaks as I use unique email addresses for all my website registrations and only one of them came back and informed me that they found the leak. Others will straight up deny or keep quiet about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Glad to finally hear some kind of confirmation of a compromse on that other (locked) thread. I think the reason that not many people have reported spam as a result of that attack is because most people don't use site-specific email addresses, and the spam being sent is conspiracy gun-nut stuff, not about basses, so if they received the spam most people wouldn't know that it was anything to do with basschat. Also, it's quite possible that they only took some of the database, and that some people's ISPs are better at filtering spam than others. But the fact that more than one person with a site-specific email address for basschat reported the spam means that it's most likely it came from a basschat-compromised database, even if others didn't get it.

For interest, I changed the email address registered on the basschat site on 2 Jan, and that new email address hasn't received spam yet. The old email address has still received some, e.g. the Diana one the other day. The fact that the new address hasn't received spam is a good sign, as it probably means that the database hasn't been compromised since 2 Jan.

It's not so much a matter as 'coming clean' - it's a matter of finding any evidence of a data compromise. The fact that the site got hacked was publicised a couple of months ago. There did not appear to be any compromise of data. We still can't find any evidence that data was taken from here, but it seems inevitable that some data was taken - through no fault of our own. I haven't had any spam of the kind mentioned here, but my work e-mail address (which I only use internally) has been spammed with those mails, and that's on a .gsi network.

On the other thread there was a suggestion that Basschat was sending out spam emails - that's utter nonsense and the reason it was locked.

There are just some very clever and malicious people out there that can hack into the FBI, the CIA and other very very secure Government websites. Basschat, and any other forum is no different.