Why become a member? ×

Calling all GB Streamliner & BF Super Twelve users!

thebrig

If you want a more focused low end you could swap out the valves or, better still, just change the amp.

The GB STL 9.2 would be a good high powered alternative. I'd also consider a Markbass LM3 and Aguilar TH500.

I'd keep the cab though.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1357386687' post='1921882']
If you want a more focused low end you could swap out the valves or, better still, just change the amp.

The GB STL 9.2 would be a good high powered alternative. I'd also consider a Markbass LM3 and Aguilar TH500.

I'd keep the cab though.
[/quote]

Lots of folks seem to use the s12-t with a markbass, try borrowing one to try with your cab and see how you get on?

I recently borrowed the Randy Jackson Sig Markbass head and this sounds lovely with my S12-T and Musicman Cutlass, so to date it's only been this head and my old Ashdown EVO II out of the bunch of heads I've tried in the last few months that I get the tight punchy bass I really like. I'm gonna try and get my hands on an Aguliar Tone Hammer 500 to see what that's like, but if that's no good I'll probably opt for the RJ Markbass as my ideal lightweight head solution :)

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1357217639' post='1919181']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If it is the Streamliner that's causing the problem, what head would work well with the Barefaced Super 12 in your opinions, baring in mind, I am using an American Standard Precision, and we play classic/southern rock, some Dr Feelgood/pub-rock and blues.[/font][/color]
[/quote]
Markbass, the VLE filter is one of the best filters out there, will go really vintage, does have loads of bottom but not boomy at all, would recommend to the hilt. Alhough I feel also that the low EQ is set too low, and the low mid EQ is set too high. It is a really usable set of frequencies though.
[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1357218286' post='1919201']
I'm also using passive Jazz/Precision combos and really didn't like the Streamliner (not even mentioning the 3 different volume knobs).

As someone also said, I quickly went back to my Markbass, which I pretty much run 'all at 12', apart from the VPF/VLE which get run about 8oclock or 9oclock

Si
[/quote]

I didn't get on with the streamliner due to the 3 volumes??? a bit silly.
[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1357218439' post='1919208']
My main problem with the Streamliner was how it holds together. I could hear it, but like the TC RH450 (albeit not as severely) at volume it seemed to lose its shape. Something to do with the power management, maybe? I spent a year on it, tweaking it at every gig. All boooooom, and no b*****ks.
[/quote]
The power management works on the same principles I believe, athough TC were crafty about it, but to me it just sounds too compressed and unnatural.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1357226366' post='1919377']
Another thing, which I might not have experienced as I was usually using practice room cabs, (quite large ones) is that the power of the Streamliner was causing your cabs to start to compress as they couldn't take the full whack, which is totally understandable for any 2x10. I'm very cautious with the Streamliner as it really is a hammer.

[/quote]

Possibly, I had the 900 and it had massive power but I couldn't really get a usable sound from it even after dropping the lows a little, it might be different now I have a thumpinator, but I have a shuttle 6 now which I believe chokes the same frequencies??

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1358454437' post='1939628']
Possibly, I had the 900 and it had massive power but I couldn't really get a usable sound from it even after dropping the lows a little, it might be different now I have a thumpinator, but I have a shuttle 6 now which I believe chokes the same frequencies??
[/quote]

The Streamliner already has a similar circuit to the Thumpinator and so adding this will not make a lot of difference.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1358459014' post='1939754']
The Streamliner already has a similar circuit to the Thumpinator and so adding this will not make a lot of difference.
[/quote]

Really? I thought it was just the shuttles 3 and 6 that have that HPF so they don't blow the small speakers that came with the combo versions??

Nope, its there, even checked with the man himself, saved me £100 as these are, in my opinion, essential;

"Hello Greg,

Thank you for your purchase. I’m sure the Streamliner will sound great with the Barefaced cabs.

Yes, the Streamliner does have HPF circuitry in it design and the Thumpinator will be redundant.

I hope this information is helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Genzler

GENZ BENZ

Founder"

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1357234718' post='1919572']
It's not an issue with the cabs. I think it's more a power management thing - the architecture just doesn't ring my bell. Bear in mind I had about 100 gigs over a period of a year to refine it and 'get used' to it, and a similar amount with the wretched (IMO) TC. The Streamliner was marginally more successful.

It's a matter of taste, innit.
[/quote] You are very tallented at talking about amps and getting me interested... on the basis of what you've said I investigted the TC stuff (hated it, same reasons as you) and now really want to try a walkabout! :)