Why become a member? ×

Just ordered my first EUB total noob what have I done?!

stingrayPete1977

Ta mate, had my first practice with it last night, first practice since the start of november due to my broken arm! Sounded good once I had mastered the art of getting a suitable eq setting and my intonation was passable for most of the night. Love cats sounded great, moondance sounded good but needs work to get more of a jazz vibe going, paloma faith upside down sounded cool and most of the set was possible and sounded like a regular bass overall, it really is all in the fingers!

Got the weekend to practice but my rufus reid book still hasnt arrived :(

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1357329936' post='1921285']Got the weekend to practice but my rufus reid book still hasnt arrived :(
[/quote]

Don't worry - it will take you months to get through the Rufus Reid book - I use mine in between my other books on scales, studies and repertoire (with the bow) and I've hardly touched the surface of it. It is a great book, though!

Thanks for those weeleigh, Fever did come up at practice actually played by the drummer would you believe as everyone wanted a go on the beast! All of those would fit in with stuff we have already too, nice one ta :)

Funny thing really as this came about due to breaking my arm/wrist and now with more practice and some good song choices it could really define our covers band as a two possible sets act depending on the gig, first half gentle and upright bass orientated with the second set all electric and more rock based or just a nice jumble up of the lot for shorter sets, cant wait :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1358011312' post='1931850']
What is the best way to keep them clean after playing?
[/quote]
Ermm, I've never cleaned a set of DB strings yet! As they are flatwound, they don't get gunk on them like electric bass roundwounds. A simple wipe down would suffice I guess if you sweat a lot but I bet you don't need to do anything with them. One piece of advice though - the silks damage really easily on Spiros so install the strings very carefully and slowly/methodically. That way, if you ever decide to change strings they will stay in excellent condition (and will be more vaulable in event of re-sale)

That is good advice! After years of string swaps I am a bit wary on this big old beast.

I dont sweat that much so I think the left hand area should be ok although the cheap ones have lost their shine already in the mainly played area, what about the rosin though will that make a mess of the bridge end of the strings?

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1358014440' post='1931905']
I use industrial alcohol. You can get it at Maplin. It seems to do some good because the cloth is quite gunky after cleaning. Doesn't taste too good tho'.
[/quote]
You can use it as engine degreaser, rocket fuel or molotov coctails.
I will add string cleaning to Alcohol's wonderful list of useful uses :happy:

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1360867605' post='1977695']
We need pictures![/quote]
I've just had a look through the reviews and there doesn't seem to be one for the Stagg. I'll do one and post some pictures there (when I have a few minutes and some decent light to take them in). My bass is actually a "Rocket by Stagg".

i could do with a couple of lessons - if only on how to hold it right. I've played it a bit (1/2 hour at a time at the moment) and seem to be getting on ok. No pain yet anyway :) I might even take it along to a gig this weekend!