Why become a member? ×

Just ordered my first EUB total noob what have I done?!

stingrayPete1977

I am really getting the hang of it now you know dare I say I almost feel more natural on it?! I am using my ears more than my eyes for playing and going with the flow, I have run through most of our short set and I can play most of it already (not sir duke!), even had a play along to my drum machine set on a fast Jazz pattern, nice :)

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1356013272' post='1905704']
I'm just now thinking about the times when i first played my stagg through my amp....utterly beautiful sound.
[/quote]
I have found it best with volume on full and just a bit of the sub thing to warm it up a little although I am using a very clean amp anyway, handy that I already own a full range of Genz amps and cabs which are favoured by many EUB and Db players I believe? :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1356014447' post='1905722']
I am really getting the hang of it now you know dare I say I almost feel more natural on it?! I am using my ears more than my eyes for playing and going with the flow, I have run through most of our short set and I can play most of it already (not sir duke!), even had a play along to my drum machine set on a fast Jazz pattern, nice :)
[/quote]
Yeh I got better when I played by sound rather than looking at the neck.......It's just a lovely way to play. The thing i really love about the Stagg is when i get up early in the summer I plug the earphones in & go & play out in the garden.....It's just the nicest way to play bass. Outside in the warm morning sunshine through earphones.
It's a feeling of freedom I've never felt before when playing

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1356014884' post='1905735']
Yeh I got better when I played by sound rather than looking at the neck.......It's just a lovely way to play. The thing i really love about the Stagg is when i get up early in the summer I plug the earphones in & go & play out in the garden.....It's just the nicest way to play bass. Outside in the warm morning sunshine through earphones.
It's a feeling of freedom I've never felt before when playing
[/quote]

Naked?

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1356021806' post='1905893']
Pete what stuff are you playing on your new girl? I could do with a few things to play along to.

A
[/quote]

Well so far I have just took some stuff from our set to try which funnily enough opens with Moondance! It is quite an odd set anyway as this band is only just getting going and some of the tracks are just from the singer & guitarist's acoustic duo set, things in the pipe line are very different.
Paloma Faith 'stone cold sober' and 'upside down' worked OK
Valerie in the Amy Winehouse style worked OK
9-5 Dolly Parton!
Moves like jagger Maroon 5 was quite effective
Love Cats by The Cure obviously
Rolling in the Deep Adele you could play on an elestic band and a shoe box TBH

By then my wrist was getting really sore and I gave up for a bit, I am just playing them in the same style really but you could improvise over those if you have more skill than me which would be difficult not to :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1356022491' post='1905909']
Well so far I have just took some stuff from our set to try which funnily enough opens with Moondance! It is quite an odd set anyway as this band is only just getting going and some of the tracks are just from the singer & guitarist's acoustic duo set, things in the pipe line are very different.
Paloma Faith 'stone cold sober' and 'upside down' worked OK
Valerie in the Amy Winehouse style worked OK
9-5 Dolly Parton!
Moves like jagger Maroon 5 was quite effective
Love Cats by The Cure obviously
Rolling in the Deep Adele you could play on an elestic band and a shoe box TBH

By then my wrist was getting really sore and I gave up for a bit, I am just playing them in the same style really but you could improvise over those if you have more skill than me which would be difficult not to :D
[/quote]

Thats an eclectic mix youve got going on! Ive found that pop or rock just doesnt work with an upright. With the obvious exceptions I cant even play it properly. Anything I play on it has to have a swing. I think this is common knowledge. Whats also common knowledge is Im pretty crap to. If we had a 'Whos the crappest' I think I'd win matey :P

A

Well I have been Jazzing now! set a nice little tempo up on the Alesis and played a few improvs in the Minor Jazz scale from a book I have and then went to the Blues man! in the G7th scale for a bit and some swinging blues in A7th :lol:

I have also played B-52's, Blondie and Fleetwood Mac on it :D

The TC Polytune is handy as its so fast and acurate you watch for the intonation as you play which helps you see just how near the nut you need to get the first two semi tones, I can already feel myself getting lazy and not reaching far enough for them after a while, my wrist hurts and my shoulder blades are killing, I think thats enough for today!

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1356034161' post='1906126']
Thats an eclectic mix youve got going on! Ive found that pop or rock just doesnt work with an upright. With the obvious exceptions I cant even play it properly. Anything I play on it has to have a swing. I think this is common knowledge. Whats also common knowledge is Im pretty crap to. If we had a 'Whos the crappest' I think I'd win matey :P

A
[/quote]

Upside down-Paloma Faith has a nice swing to it and you can get around the neck a bit if you like too, nice tune for the upright I think :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1356035442' post='1906142']
Well I have been Jazzing now! set a nice little tempo up on the Alesis and played a few improvs in the Minor Jazz scale from a book I have and then went to the Blues man! in the G7th scale for a bit and some swinging blues in A7th :lol:

I have also played B-52's, Blondie and Fleetwood Mac on it :D

The TC Polytune is handy as its so fast and acurate you watch for the intonation as you play which helps you see just how near the nut you need to get the first two semi tones, I can already feel myself getting lazy and not reaching far enough for them after a while, my wrist hurts and my shoulder blades are killing, I think thats enough for today!
[/quote]

I noticed my shoulder blades and back going quit quickly in the early days to. Its hard work util you get used to it. But shes worth it :D

A

This morning I have combined reading and practicing on the upright, Roxanne by the Police works quite well and I can pretty much (sort of) sight read that now too. Plenty of time to try and intonate each note properly. Next up from the same book Lay down Sally by Clapton, now it took me a while to realise its in half time :lol: then it improved, much harder to play as its up and down the neck much more so fingering choice is a bit more complex but its good for getting me to learn the scale difference as you go up the fingerboard, funny thing is I could probably jam that on the upright now already if I kept to the simple version of a sort of swing 12 bar thing, this is where some knowledge makes learning harder :)

Lunch break and dog walk to let the brain cool off now :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1356035442' post='1906142']
, my wrist hurts and my shoulder blades are killing, I think thats enough for today!
[/quote]

Please get yourself a couple of lessons before you do yourself some damage. And in the meantime, practice in 15 minutes bursts. Stop as soon as it hurts. Maybe the EUB isn't as potentially harmful as the acoustic, but it seems that the technique bass guitar players bring to the upright can cause problems. Keep your wrist straight!

I have a bad wrist though Sarah :( only had a cast removed just over a week ago so I cant do it as well as I would like yet. I am having lessons but there is no point until I can do it as I am shown which at the moment I know I wont be able to do because of the wrist situation. Hopefully another few weeks and some physio will get me nearer to where I need to be, also I am concious of what I am doing wrong which I think is always the first hurdle. I have set my EUB up as close as I can to an acoustic bass as I dont want to go down the route of electric bass on end, 25 years on electric bass is always going to get in the way though I guess? :(

And I have just ordered the Rufus book to read and absorb some good techniques from ;) :)

There was one post you made where you said you couldn't bend your wrist enough and that made me worry for you because I have wrist problems myself. Sorry if I sounded a bit pooey. I've got the Rufus Reid book too - there's enough in there to last 3 or 4 years! For short bursts of infectious inspiration, I go to a link Clarky posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFTqVHEJZ0A It's a masterclass in 5 minutes and filled with joy. I hope you like it!

Brilliant! :D Thanks Sarah, It's the clips like that that make me want a proper DB at some point rather than the EUB but hopefully this will give me a bit of a grounding and like I said I am purposefully trying not to play it like a stingray on end or lowering the action right down, I was after an NS design to start with but now I have the Stagg I am actually glad I did as its more realistic to a DB which is what I want :) I will see how fast my wrist improves then get a few lessons in and go from there but so far I am loving it :)

OK modifications almost all done :)

Stripped all the old poor shielding out

Put just the piezos in the slots and shielded the whole cavity inc the back plate

Ran the power cables one side and the jack cable up the other the shielded the lot, you cant see behind the controls but its all done the same ;)

Wrapped the endpin in the foam that the bass came in and spun sellotape over it to keep it tight

Used a chunk of the packing foam to make a mute, this is the most important and easiest mod IMO

Even with my amp on full its as quiet as a church mouse :)

Already filed all the nut slots and the bridge a little bit on the E string, new strings are going on at some point and it will be perfect, can't really see the need to upgrade to anything else at the moment?

Better get back to playing it now :D