Why become a member? ×

band websites-info wanted

highwayone

Anyone on here have a website for their band? Looking to get one set up for my band and wanted people's recommendations. Ideally I'd want to be able to put gig dates up and pictures myself rather than have to go through a 'webguy' who set the page up. Nothing too expensive but nothing too crappy looking either :) cheers

[quote name='garethox' timestamp='1355325625' post='1896958']
We use Webeden. it's about £25 a year but we find it supplies all the space we need. If you want to take a look:

[url="http://www.oneeyedpete.webeden.co.uk"]www.oneeyedpete.webeden.co.uk[/url]
[/quote]

That looks superb, especially for that money! worth a peep.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1355325179' post='1896949']
The cheapest way to do it would be Wordpress. I don't like Wordpress, at all, but it's a cheap way to do it.[/quote]

The free WP templates are yuk but easy, the paid ones are better but not stunning. I went for a freebie one just to get something up there without being asked via email repeatedly......... and because I'm cheap.

I used Wordpress to do this:

WWW.Skimmityhitchers.com

I splurged £60 on the 'Canvas' theme which had a lot more flexibility than the free themes. If you Google Wordpress themes, you can also find template themes for band websites, which may meet your needs with very little effort on your part.

Here's my new baby: http://www.goodmovesband.co.uk . It's in wordpress - there's no reason you couldn't get a fine wordpress website working yourself - the admin panel makes it really straightforward to add pages and news posts, and the gigpress plugin takes care of all the gig listing stuff.

We use joolma:
http://www.thecheapshots.net/joomla/

It's not bad, and there are some cool extensions for embedding video and audio.(check out the demo / mp3 page)

Each band member has their own login and can post articles when they want. Not that they ever do mind you.

It comes free with our hosting package, which we did with godaddy.com, currently advertised at ~£2 a month (but we pay more for it because of the domain name and stuff).

Most of our active stuff is done through our facebook page though: www.fb.com/thecheapshots

I've created many websites and Wordpress with the suffusion template is a superb way of setting up a site. You can either have all your information on your site or link in other sites.

I would recommend wordpress and then link in:

Soundcloud or bandcamp for demo recordings
Songkick for your gig list (which also gets your gigs more widely publicised as Google field trip links into Songkick)
Youtube for band videos
Any good picture hosting service for you pics (flickr, picasa web albums, photo bucket even instagram with wordpress 3.5)

A reserve for all of these is reverbnation. The more info-sharing you can do the easier you make your job of promotion.

A good way to keep your costs down is to host as much content on the other networks above, then you are utilising your bandwidth rather then your own.

here is one I'm setting up at the moment for my new band themagicdragons.co.uk, rough and ready at the moment but getting there.

If you have any questions or want any pointers please let me know

www.wix.com is full of great templates, and is free. Choose one that floats your boat, and adapt it accordingly. For a small fee they remove their advert from your pages too. They also do a mobile version for the phone brigade, which is okay for free. I was impressed with what we made in no time at all, and it's easy to edit and update. Have a look at:
www.goingstraightband.com

[quote name='Lee Carter' timestamp='1355498322' post='1899278']
I've created many websites and Wordpress with the suffusion template is a superb way of setting up a site. You can either have all your information on your site or link in other sites.

I would recommend wordpress and then link in:

Soundcloud or bandcamp for demo recordings
Songkick for your gig list (which also gets your gigs more widely publicised as Google field trip links into Songkick)
Youtube for band videos
Any good picture hosting service for you pics (flickr, picasa web albums, photo bucket even instagram with wordpress 3.5)

A reserve for all of these is reverbnation. The more info-sharing you can do the easier you make your job of promotion.

A good way to keep your costs down is to host as much content on the other networks above, then you are utilising your bandwidth rather then your own.

here is one I'm setting up at the moment for my new band themagicdragons.co.uk, rough and ready at the moment but getting there.

If you have any questions or want any pointers please let me know
[/quote]

cheers for that, much appreciated

• 3 weeks later...