Why become a member? ×

which of these cabs are better for slap?

ReeV0

hi guys,
just curious to hear ur views, which do you think is better for RHCP-style slap?

two 2x12 neo cabs
or
two 2x10 ceramic cabs?

im kinda thinking the 2x10s are better becuase people say the 2x12s lack mids, and are also more boomy than 2x10s, and have less clarity.
the two cabs in particular are the GK 210RBH, and the GK Neo 212.

anyway please could i hear your thoughts?
thaanks

There's not gonna be a massive difference to be honest..... sure the 12's will give you a bit more bottom than the 10's and the 10's may sound slightly snappier due to the size.... but honestly not much difference.....

I guess if you want the RHCP type thing.... he uses GK 210RBH so go with that..... if your not using another cab with it.... i'd go for the 2 x 12 instead

[quote name='jjl5590' post='197952' date='May 13 2008, 01:38 PM']im kinda thinking the 2x10s are better becuase people say the 2x12s lack mids, and are also more boomy than 2x10s, and have less clarity.[/quote]
Generalisation of the year :)

Try 'em, if you like 'em, buy 'em.

[quote name='jjl5590' post='197952' date='May 13 2008, 01:38 PM']hi guys,
just curious to hear ur views, which do you think is better for RHCP-style slap?

two 2x12 neo cabs
or
two 2x10 ceramic cabs?

im kinda thinking the 2x10s are better becuase people say the 2x12s lack mids, and are also more boomy than 2x10s, and have less clarity.
the two cabs in particular are the GK 210RBH, and the GK Neo 212.

anyway please could i hear your thoughts?
thaanks[/quote]

You're making a lot of assumptions there. My EBS 212neo is mid-tastic and not boomy at all. Whereas the pair of Eminence Delta loaded Loud 2x10"'s I used to own had a very poorly defined and boomy low end even though they sounded quite punchy. The GK 210RBH I just sold today wasn't very mid focussed relatively speaking at all - it sounded similar to the 15" cone in my GK combo but with slightly less bass.

What cabs you choose should also compliment the character of your bass.Neo cones will give you a slight mid-emphasis which can be great for boomy sounding basses like my Smith fretted 5 but probably not so good for an aggressive sounding bass like a Modulus Sonic Hammer.

Its also important to test the cabs out at a rehearsal if you can, the character of your amp and cabs may change quite significantly (tonal colouring being that much more pronounced) at performance volumes.

Its also worth noting that Flea's GK rig gives him an exceptionally aggressive sound. Are you only going to be playing RHCP covers?

we arnt a very serious band, we just like jamming, and most of the stuff we play is RHCP covers. if i got the 2x12 neo cab, if i liked the sound of it i would probably couple it with another neo 2x12, or i might get a the GK neo 4x10, except its wider and wont look right.

we play songs like stone cold bush and aeroplane and tell me baby, slap like that...

[quote name='jjl5590' post='198040' date='May 13 2008, 03:20 PM']we arnt a very serious band, we just like jamming, and most of the stuff we play is RHCP covers. if i got the 2x12 neo cab, if i liked the sound of it i would probably couple it with another neo 2x12, or i might get a the GK neo 4x10, except its wider and wont look right.

we play songs like stone cold bush and aeroplane and tell me baby, slap like that...[/quote]
Cool, so are you planning on owning the cabs for as long as you're playing the RHCP covers then and selling them on if/when you move on to other things?

What amp are you playing through?

i have an Ibanez Ergodyne EDB-500 bass, actice pickups, the E string is quite boomy, the G string is really twangy, but the sound from the A and D strings seem to get lost. they seem quieter than the other 2. but the e string is definitly the loudest. maybe i just need new strings. oh yeah and its made of luthite

[quote name='Merton' post='197993' date='May 13 2008, 02:26 PM']Generalisation of the year :)

Try 'em, if you like 'em, buy 'em.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. For example,

Bill Fitzmaurice designs PA sub-woofers with 10" drivers. I wish people would consider the enclosures as much (if not more) as the drivers sizes.

[quote name='jjl5590' post='198173' date='May 13 2008, 06:51 PM']i have an Ibanez Ergodyne EDB-500 bass, actice pickups, the E string is quite boomy, the G string is really twangy, but the sound from the A and D strings seem to get lost.[/quote]

Sounds like you're cranking your bass and treble knobs. Reduce that and the string to string balance will be restored.

Alex

[quote name='jjl5590' post='198173' date='May 13 2008, 06:51 PM']i have an Ibanez Ergodyne EDB-500 bass, actice pickups, the E string is quite boomy, the G string is really twangy, but the sound from the A and D strings seem to get lost. they seem quieter than the other 2. but the e string is definitly the loudest. maybe i just need new strings. oh yeah and its made of luthite[/quote]
Well it sounds to me like you're doing the equivalent of designing a car by starting with the tyres. If you want a Flea sound then maybe the best place to start with your bass? Perhaps look at a bass which is designed more like a Stingray? MM Sub 4 for example? That's going to make a hell of a lot more difference than choosing between types of magnets and drivers.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='198305' date='May 13 2008, 10:03 PM']Well it sounds to me like you're doing the equivalent of designing a car by starting with the tyres. If you want a Flea sound then maybe the best place to start with your bass? Perhaps look at a bass which is designed more like a Stingray? MM Sub 4 for example? That's going to make a hell of a lot more difference than choosing between types of magnets and drivers.[/quote]

Makes sense, but if IIRC Flea recorded Blood Sugar Sex Magic (for me 'the' definative Flea sound) using a Wal, he may have also used it on other recordings. Unfortunatley not a cheap option

[quote name='jjl5590' post='198727' date='May 14 2008, 02:00 PM']hmm well i cant decide to get the GK 700RB-II/210 combo, or the GK Neo 1001-RB-II/212 combo. anyone had any experience with either that could maybe post some pics? thanks[/quote]
How are pics going to help make a choice on sounds? :)

I think the thing people are getting at is that just because Flea uses [i]x[/i] rig doesn't mean you should use it to get the same sound. For example I get a cracking Duff McKagen tone from a 2x15 Trace V-Type set up, nothing like the GK rig he uses...

I don't want to patronise you (so forgive me if I do!) but you really need to try some stuff and find what is right for you. We can all offer opinions but they are that and only that. You will form your own opinions once you've tried some stuff and may well end up with something you haven't thought of until now.